Help! Overwhelmed New to Fish Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
S. O. B.

We just let the ladies out, and I am pretty **** positive that the doofus that was working got me 2 mollies. Platys and female mollies look very similar to me :( I had a one year old excited yelling and pointing and flopping around as i was trying to talk to the guy and he kept showing me other fish and i kept saying I just want 5 female platies. I won't be adding another fish till we have this tank cycled and under control. They just don't look like the other platies. They have flatter heads and bigger eyes. But maybe I am just imagining things.

ugh.

Fin rot doesn't readily spread so you shouldn't have to worry. In fact most of the time it will go away when the water quality is increased. But looking at the pictures I don't think it's fin rot. I believe that's just a strange coloration to his tail making it look a little off. I would just keep an eye on things and see how he is doing.

Po seems a lot happier/perky after we changed the water (50%), he even ate last night. He was still hiding this morning when I first came downstairs but seems perkier and swimming a lot better. Just a bit ago I saw he was swimming about the tank. i tried feeding him but either he didn't notice or didn't want any because he didn't eat. I am sure the water quality was just that poor and he was the most sensitive to it.

I ordered our testing kit (along with a tool to move things in the tank and a water exchanger) but for some reason or another the test kit won't be here till the 17th. So I guess for now I will just make sure that we change the water out. With the 10 gallon, since obviously the water quality was so bad, would it help with the next time changing it just a couple days early? Like after 5 days instead of the full week? I just want to make sure that Po stays healthy and the water quality doesn't get as bad as it did. Also since we want to keep the 10 gallon up and running and get it cycled. Would it be okay to get a couple females to put in with Po (once he seems a little better), since we are doing a cycle with fish?

The other fish seem to be very happy with all the space in the 50. I am still convinced 2 of our females are mollies and not platies. But I can't get a picture of them clear enough because the fish are swimming around so fast.

The kids are LOVING it. Try to imagine a usually very BUSY 1 year old sitting for 10 minutes in a chair watching fish. I mean seriously she didn't even twitch.

Attachments

• DSC_0464.jpg
    DSC_0464.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 56
Po seems a lot happier/perky after we changed the water (50%), he even ate last night. He was still hiding this morning when I first came downstairs but seems perkier and swimming a lot better. Just a bit ago I saw he was swimming about the tank. i tried feeding him but either he didn't notice or didn't want any because he didn't eat. I am sure the water quality was just that poor and he was the most sensitive to it.

I ordered our testing kit (along with a tool to move things in the tank and a water exchanger) but for some reason or another the test kit won't be here till the 17th. So I guess for now I will just make sure that we change the water out. With the 10 gallon, since obviously the water quality was so bad, would it help with the next time changing it just a couple days early? Like after 5 days instead of the full week? I just want to make sure that Po stays healthy and the water quality doesn't get as bad as it did. Also since we want to keep the 10 gallon up and running and get it cycled. Would it be okay to get a couple females to put in with Po (once he seems a little better), since we are doing a cycle with fish?

The other fish seem to be very happy with all the space in the 50. I am still convinced 2 of our females are mollies and not platies. But I can't get a picture of them clear enough because the fish are swimming around so fast.

The kids are LOVING it. Try to imagine a usually very BUSY 1 year old sitting for 10 minutes in a chair watching fish. I mean seriously she didn't even twitch.

haha just wait until your big tank is full of fish :) My roomate stopped by with her aunt to pick some stuff for moving out and her aunt sat in front of my 55 for 45 minutes watching my fishies. I would try po out in the 55 myself. Its quite possible there just wasn't enough space which caused the aggression in the fish.

In the uncycled 10g, it would probably be a good idea to do a water change every 5 days as long as it's just po in there. if you add any more fish I would bump that up to every 3 days until you get the test kit.

I think it might be fin rot, but fin rot doesn't spread, it is in almost all tanks but it only affects fish when their immune system is down due to stress or water quality. Water changes should help. Do you see frayed or torn fins on po? Anything like that? I don't really know, because his fins look shorter than normal, but not torn or frayed.

Oh, stupid me. I just googled panda platy on google images and realized that they all have shorter fins than most platys. Or so it seems. So I think mebbid is right, he probably doesn't have fin rot.

It doesn't look to me like fin rot. i went through google images, but I do see some white spots on him, some on fins and there might be some on body. This is probably ick. :( :'( Which might mean that everyone is infected. :( now I am going to panic....... What is the best way to attack this situation?

It is really easy to change water in that tank. I am going to have to filter the rocks as well, but have never done this. i do have a gravel vacuum (siphon-kleen). He seems to be swimming around a lot more than he was and sometimes his fins are up. But I am seeing little bright white spots on fins and i feel like i can see some on Zorro and possibly Bob (my other two boys that came from the 10 gallon). This ship is sinking fast. Is it impossible to get rid of ick?

Yes, but its not easy. Raise the temperature a little bit, but do so slowly, like a degree every few hours. What is the temp now? I have heard that you should add salt to the water? I don't know how much, so don't do so yet, but that is an idea.

It is really easy to change water in that tank. I am going to have to filter the rocks as well, but have never done this. i do have a gravel vacuum (siphon-kleen). He seems to be swimming around a lot more than he was and sometimes his fins are up. But I am seeing little bright white spots on fins and i feel like i can see some on Zorro and possibly Bob (my other two boys that came from the 10 gallon). This ship is sinking fast. Is it impossible to get rid of ick?

Nope! Just a pain in the butt. I had ick couple month or so ago with new additions from neons (learned my lesson! Have a QT now).

I raised the temp slowly to 86 (I did a degree every few hours. Some do it quicker but I'm overly cautious). Did water changes and vacuuming every other day. Also lowered the water level a few inches (to help with oxygen) and added a bubbler. It went away in like 5 days (the spots) but you must keep temp up for a week after spots go away to make sure it kills ich in the tank. I did it naturally (no meds) and no salt because I have loaches. It worked for me. I lost one neon but the neons were bad stock in the first place! So I returned them. I have an old thread on it if need more info, but ich info is everywhere on here! Just search. Everyone is so kind.

Oh also keep lights on tank off to help them not stress so much.

Also your fishy doesn't look like he has finely to me! Just like he has a "speckled" fin like his body. I just saw some poor fishes with fin rot at the store and definitely doesn't look like those (they just had bones for last half of fin. Your fishy looks like there is "meat" between fins and like it is whole. Lol sorry for poor referencing! Not really sure how to word it).

Thank you for the suggestions. I had to purchase a different heater for the 10 because the other one we had was a SET 76 degree one. I also went ahead and got the salts. I put everyone up a degree, starting that process. And I purchased this siphon thing for our rocks because we haven't been doing any sort of cleaning of the rocks whatsoever (other than RIGHT when we set up the rocks). I have no idea how to use it. I have never siphoned anything in my life. I guess this is why youtube was invented.

Once i get past all this difficult fiddly stuff, it isn't too hard to maintain...right?

-Robyn

Thank you for the suggestions. I had to purchase a different heater for the 10 because the other one we had was a SET 76 degree one. I also went ahead and got the salts. I put everyone up a degree, starting that process. And I purchased this siphon thing for our rocks because we haven't been doing any sort of cleaning of the rocks whatsoever (other than RIGHT when we set up the rocks). I have no idea how to use it. I have never siphoned anything in my life. I guess this is why youtube was invented.

Once i get past all this difficult fiddly stuff, it isn't too hard to maintain...right?

-Robyn

Nooo. I am able to do it with a toddler at me feet (lol that's saying alot!), 2 nosy cats and a husband. It's actually oddly relaxing! Just the weekly clean ups (weekly water change and vacuum (that's the siphon!), testing and plant care (I have live plants). I do it all at once on Fridays. It takes me less than 20 mins. Probably way less but I spend alot of time just messing around with toddler in between. Oh and feeding the fish =3. I say it's less maintenance than a cat. I would much rather vacuum my tank than clean a litter box (we do that daily haha do think I'm abusing them with weekly letter changes!).

Hope your fishies get well soon!

LOL, well good to know its going to be easy to do with lots of distractions because i have a pre-schooler(3 yearold)and 1 year old who are constantly are all over me and get WAY excited when I am even NEAR the fish tanks. You should hear how loud my 1 year old makes the sssshhhhhhh (she is trying to say fish) sound when we go to stores/the zoos aquarium. There is also a lot of squealing, grabbing my finger and pulling me (that is the 3 year old), and lots of MUM! MUM! MOMMA! Sssssshhhsssshhhh!!! (from the 1yearold) And asking to be UP so she can SEE everything. I am actually really really really loving the 50 just because it is lower and they can see into it. I have the 10 up higher on a different sort of desk thing and that requires them to push chairs/one of their little chairs over to stand on to see in.... which usually ends in BOTH of them FIGHTING over who gets to stand on it.

I bet your Kitty LOOVVVESSS to watch all your fish.

the vacuuming of gravel is the exact reason why I bought sand for my tanks. I no longer have a single tank with gravel in it. The flow in my tank actually pushes all the debris to 1 spot where I can just suck it all up at once. While it seems like the treatment of ich is a big deal, once you get everything situated its a breeze. I am dealing with the saltwater version of ich and it is sooooo much worse to get rid of.

UGh, back to the Pet store again today. :( The heater in the 50 is a cheap one from walmart my husband picked up. And it is suppose to get to 85 and its not even to 80 after being cranked up over night. I love my husband but its in his genetics to grab the cheapest thing available. I have tried explaining sometimes you end up spending more money because cheap sometimes means junk--doesn't do its job OR breaks easily. And walmart, though cheap is synonymous with junk.

I feel like a regular now. And the Cheers music is going to come on when I enter the building. Not that I really want to shop there, yesterday I sent to a local AND the big store. From now on all fish will be purchased at a local OR I might try the online thing. But equipment (after I get over these emergency trips) will be online.

Everywhere I have been I see sand, not gravel being used. And since it sounds like it is a LOT easier to maintain, keep clean, this makes me want to have sand instead of gravel. Is it too late to do sand or should I wait until I get things cycled.

Sorry to hear you are having a hard time with ich, I hope you get it under control soon.
-RObyn

UGh, back to the Pet store again today. :( The heater in the 50 is a cheap one from walmart my husband picked up. And it is suppose to get to 85 and its not even to 80 after being cranked up over night. I love my husband but its in his genetics to grab the cheapest thing available. I have tried explaining sometimes you end up spending more money because cheap sometimes means junk--doesn't do its job OR breaks easily. And walmart, though cheap is synonymous with junk.

I feel like a regular now. And the Cheers music is going to come on when I enter the building. Not that I really want to shop there, yesterday I sent to a local AND the big store. From now on all fish will be purchased at a local OR I might try the online thing. But equipment (after I get over these emergency trips) will be online.

Everywhere I have been I see sand, not gravel being used. And since it sounds like it is a LOT easier to maintain, keep clean, this makes me want to have sand instead of gravel. Is it too late to do sand or should I wait until I get things cycled.

Sorry to hear you are having a hard time with ich, I hope you get it under control soon.
-RObyn

I buy almost all of my equipment from Fish, Reptiles, Dog, Cat, Bird & Other Pet Products & Supplies if you haven't bought one yet I would suggest an Eheim Jager heater. I have always had good luck with those holding temp very well and they aren't terribly expensive.

No, it's not too late to do sand at all. In fact, its better to switch now than wait until your tank is fully stocked. By fa the most bacteria is located in the filter with gravel coming in at a distant second.

The version of ich I am dealing with is more of a time investment than anything. It's a 6 - 8 week process to get rid of the saltwater version of it. but thanks :)

:( Okay so I was directed to buy a petco aquatic air pump (bubbler) for both of my aquariums. I was going to get an air pump yesterday (since I am upping the temps) and I just FORGOT. I have so much information, and new stuff....and babies.... and GAH ! I got the bubblers home and these things come with the most worthless instructions. I am not MECHANICAL in any form of the word. How does a check valve work? I understand that if the pump is set below water level I need to use that, but where? The one I got for the 50 has 4 hoses!!! Really? I wasn't expecting that, and since this was the 4th day in a row (((I would have rather not but I feel again it was an emergency to get air in the tank since I have turned up the heat, oh and also I was getting a different heater as well))). Do they need to be all the way in the botttom?? The one in the 10 I can only get half way down cause it floats. Should I place them in any sort of area? The lady there also talked me into a power head to help with the flow/ filtering of the tank. The instructions on this thing are also very very minimal. Another petco product.

What is your best suggestion on what sort of sand to look into getting?

They didnt have the heater you suggestion, I picked up a aqueon.

All this stuff is beginning to feel like over kill and umm I am unsure of where to place ANY of it.

-Robyn

Air pump: Not necessary BUT with increased temperature in the tank there will be less o2 in the water. This can help if needed. You can put the airstone at any point in the tank, it doesn't really matter. Most people put it near the bottom.

The check valve is there in case of a power outage. It will only allow air to flow through it one way so it keeps water from siphoning out of your tank from the airline. It will need to be inserted somewhere in the airline tubing outside of the tank. Just cut the tube with scissors and insert the airline tubing on both ends. Make sure the arrow is pointing towards the line that leads into the tank (If you don't see an arrow just blow into one of the holes you will see which way the air flows)

I bought a suction cup that has a clip on it to clip an airline tube to. One of those will help keep the tube from floating. Either that or you can bury it in the gravel.

The 4 hoses are just for multiple connection points. You can just ignore them if you want.

When placing the airstone just be sure not to place it under the intake of a filter.

The powerhead can pretty much just be inserted in the tank and plugged in. Some are adjustable some aren't. Most will also come with a venturi attachment to allow more aeration of the water (airline tubing with a black cap on it) I don't bother using them because I don't like the bubbles they make.

Back
Top Bottom