Help please ! Keyhole cichlid problems !!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishesareamazin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Alright this is a long one sorry I’m new !!

I have a 180l , which has the next rough stocking :
Cherry barbs ( around 10 )
Rummy nose tetras ( 5 )
Kerri tetras ( 3 )
Khuli loach ( 3 )
Key holes ( 2 )
Diamon gouramis ( 2 )

My problem is with the key holes - when I bought the tank quite a few months ago it came with one key hole , I know they have to go in pairs or groups so yesterday I bought him / her a friend. And now they hate each other the old one is really bullying the new one - I can’t return it and I can’t seperate them so any ideas - I don’t know what sex but can send photos ?? The old one was never aggressive apart from feeding time ? And it is this one doing the chasing - are they pairing up or figuring out a hierarchy??

Your tank is a little small, but you might consider adding one or two more Keyholes.
Spreading aggression by numbers is a common way of keeping relative peace in a Cichlid community.
Adding structure such as driftwood, plants & rocks often helps as well.

Your tank is a little small, but you might consider adding one or two more Keyholes.
Spreading aggression by numbers is a common way of keeping relative peace in a Cichlid community.
Adding structure such as driftwood, plants & rocks often helps as well.

I would , however I am moving house in a few weeks and don’t want to add more fish just to stress them out with a move - will they be ok until then ? Or do i need to do something more ?? I am getting a new tank of 123cm long , 45cm , 36cm I’d like to go for a dwarf cichlid set up would this be big enough ? And I can put the key holes in there and get more ?? What stocking would you suggest ?

Until the move, maybe toss in a few artificial
plants. It's doubtful that the dominant Keyhole will kill the subordinate.
If you are considering a dwarf Cichlid, look at the Bolivian Ram. They are a little bigger & more durable than the German Blue Rams.
Be a good idea to increase the Loach population. Maybe add a few YoYo Loaches.
They really keep a tank clean. Great scavengers.

Until the move, maybe toss in a few artificial
plants. It's doubtful that the dominant Keyhole will kill the subordinate.
If you are considering a dwarf Cichlid, look at the Bolivian Ram. They are a little bigger & more durable than the German Blue Rams.
Be a good idea to increase the Loach population. Maybe add a few YoYo Loaches.
They really keep a tank clean. Great scavengers.

Ok , they have a huge amount of plants but I’ll add more . I’ve got rams in my smaller tank and love them perhaps I’ll get more - also got 5 yo yos and three clowns in another tank and I love them.

I was looking at cockatoo cichlids Aswell what about those ?

I'm a big Loach fan too, keeping YoYo's, Red Tails and a Berdmorei Tiger Loach.
I've never kept Apistos, but have heard they are fairly easy to keep & do better in groups.

Ok , so it’s still happening but not as badly so I hope it’s getting better . For my new setup ( in a few weeks ) I’m thinking of moving my two key holes and adding a few more , 4 rams , 2 cockatoos , my three yo yos , my two clown loaches and some plecos - would this work ? I also have a red tailed shark would he fit with the mix ??

Back
Top Bottom