Help Please Planted Fishless Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timed007

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys

I am currently doing a planted fishless cycle, on my first week. Tank is a
fluval profile 1200 323 litre,,everything seems to be going fine,,

but on the bogwood it has this white kind of film all over all over it, my best description would be looks like white candy floss, it looks really odd just need to know if this is normal,

could provide picture if helps

Many thanks

The white fungus that commonly forms on newly added driftwood is normal and harmless to anything in the tank. I think the reason the fungi forms is because it is living inside the wood before added to the tank. I'm guessing you haven't boiled the driftwood correct?

Also do you have a source of ammonia to cycle?

thanks for the response, you are correct i did not boil it, but i did soak in the bath in very hot water best i could, i think its more tree root/drift wood style,, its 80 inches long 17 inches deep and 20 inches high,, can i remove it.

I'm currently using fish food have the heater turned up ammonia has dropped to 1 currently getting back upto 4 any further help would be gratefully received

I had driftwood that I found which would probably have more living organisms in it and I soaked it for about a month and the fungus still formed. Good flow( power head/filter/air-stone) directed at the driftwood and possibly a clean up crew ( shrimp/pleco/algae eating fish) would take care of the fungus in no time. It tends to feed off of nutrients like fish flakes an the wood itself. Without a clean up crew the fungus will go away in a couple months.

For the cycling I am no expert but I would keep adding pulverized fish flakes to increase ammonia levels or buy pure ammonia. You seem to know what you're doing but I believe you try and get ammonia to 5ppm then let it go down to 1ppm then re-dose to 5ppm then when it reaches 0 your tank is cycled.

Back
Top Bottom