Help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acura27

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hey guys new here i know i need an intro im 25 frm arkansas been in hobby for 3 years ill add more later need some advice i am fixing to recieve a 75 gallon saltwater fowlr has around 130 lbs live rock 2 inch sand bed a ton of fish but the sand is quite nasty ad i want to replace it but am worried i am keeping all the water and everything moving tank around 45 miles could i just get new sand and seed it with old and not have to cycle over would reallylove to keep fish ay ideas thanks im in a hurry sorry for the typing has a bio wheel sum and a marineland skimmer also and 3 powerheads and the water is perfect lol been running almost 9 months

taking it down.and moving it sorry i dident mention I'm putting liv rock in a 35 gallon trash can topping it off. Then fish and snails in 5 gallon buckets, and water in 55 gallon drums! keeping sump covered with a trash bag as far as sand it is pretty nasty has black chunks of stuff allover just looks like sediment and die off from live rock might be able to sift it through a strainer though might try that dont want to have to cycle it !

Welcome to AA from fellow Arkansan!

I would pass on transferring over all the water, I mean a 55 gallon drum is a little extreme and I'm not sure how you would even transport it. I would also worry about chemicals and such leaching from the drum.

IMO you should use new sand to start (black chunks). Once you have the system running you could decide what to do with the old sand.

When I move a tank I start by packing the rock into a container as thought a possible then top with tank water. Fish assorted into containers by size, temperament and stickers ( lion fish for example). Inverts are on their own. The old sand if reused will cloud the tank from hours to days. Also I find if you have a ice chest handy, it's one less container to find. I think it's called multitasking.

Reassembly starts with sand, rock and water. Let things settle then add animals. You will need several gallons of premixed water on hand, just in case.

P.S. Anglisht suxs

I have 2 60 gallon food grade drums I use to mix and/or transport water and rock. New trash cans will work but I would fill them with water and let them set a few days before use.

I use a power head and hose to pump water from the tank into the drum, while the drum is in the truck bed. Reversing from truck to tank with the same power-head. After all if your moving any SW tank over say 30 gallons wouldn't a truck be handy?

IMO I would a mixture of old and new water to restart the tank.

Back
Top Bottom