Help please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oldspice

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
165Lt tank. I am treating for white spot just now. Day 4 of Esha. Spots all gone, today was the first day with no spots. Infected fish are happy now.
I am a bit concerned about my levels. Have been advised to do 10% water change every day, which I have been doing. I am cycling with fish (I know!)
Didn't feed fish yesterday. I will give you my last three sets of levels

API Test

29th
Ammo 1.0
Nitrite 0.25
Nitrate 80ppm
PH 7.2

30th
Ammo 050
Nitrite 0.25
Nitrate less than 80ppm
PH 7

1st
Ammo 1.0
Nitrite 0.25
Nitrate 80ppm
PH 7

Tap water PH 7

Can anyone advise me on what , if anything I can do to help my tank?

Thank you.

You need to do water changes immediately.

You may have to do back-to-back wc's to get your ammonia below .25, get rid of nitrites and lower the nitrates to 20.

How long has the tank been set up?

Six weeks. Had been doing large water changes. Was told oBly to do 10% per day to let good bacteria build up. I know the sensible thing would be to do a large change to remove some of Ammonia, Nitrites and lower Nitrates.

Should I go ahead and do large water change?

Yes, do as Lynda suggested. You need to drop your toxin levels down to keep your fish healthy. Most of your good bacteria does not live in the water but in your filter media, on the substrate, decor etc. Water changes are not going to hamper the cycling process. Just make sure you do not clean/change your filter media while your tank is cycling. Once it is cycled, only swish the media in some used tank water to remove debris & clean it. Heres a link to fish-in cycling:

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

Forgot- make sure you temperature match and properly condition the water you are using for water changes! :)

Basically, when you have fish in the tank, you have no choice but to do large water changes. Otherwise, the toxins will kill them.

Back
Top Bottom