Help - Sick Platys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyKisses

Aquarium Advice Freak
So... I have a big problem. I have two platies that are sick. I have no idea what is wrong with them. Their fins are not as nice as they once were. The seem almost jagged, and faded. They also have a sort of shine to their bodies that I can't explain. One of them has swollen gills too. They lay on the bottom of my aquarium a lot. They are eating perfectly, and they still swim just fine. I have never dealt with sick fish before...well, except when they got old and it was their time to go. I had never done regular water changes until I joined AA. I had always done them every few months, and now I do 40% weekly.

Right now I am waiting for the water to heat back up. My heater stopped working today, and I didn't realize until tonight. I just bought a new one. I'm not sure if I should raise the temp or not?! I have a 29 gallon with 2 Balas, 2 blue gouramis, an ACF, plecos, and 6 platies. I know that I need to re home the Balas(I am trying to find a good home for them, but I didn't know when I bought them) I am not exactly sure of my parameters right now, because I am out if strips. I am new to testing water as well. I will post pics in the morning. The only things I have to treat with as of now are ich medicine, melafix, and aquarium salt. Any advice would be great...oh, I normally keep my tank at 78 degrees.

How many Plecos ? And what kind ?

They are messy fish and could def be part of the problem. Change temp gradually so you don't overheat by accident.

Test your water.

As soon as you can get the test strips, see if ammonia nitrates and nitrites are too high. If so change 30% of water every day until it is brought down. You may want to do water changes now. You most likely have high toxicity in your water. Do you use a water conditioner?

How many Plecos ? And what kind ?

They are messy fish and could def be part of the problem. Change temp gradually so you don't overheat by accident.

Test your water.

I'm not sure what kind, but at this point I am sure I have too many. Like I said before, I am just learning the "right" way to take care of my fish. It was only up to 74 degrees this morning, so I turned it up a bit. What temp do you think I should get it to?

As soon as you can get the test strips, see if ammonia nitrates and nitrites are too high. If so change 30% of water every day until it is brought down. You may want to do water changes now. You most likely have high toxicity in your water. Do you use a water conditioner?

I am going to buy some strips today. My mother in law and best friend are having surgery this morning though. I will do the water change before I run to the hospital. Yes, I do use water conditioner. I will let you know as soon as I buy the test strips! I can't find a good test kit where I live.

I suspect high nitrates at least, given the high bioload and the inconsistency with water changes. There may be ammonia, etc too. Water changes are a good idea until you can get a test kit.

I suspect high nitrates at least, given the high bioload and the inconsistency with water changes. There may be ammonia, etc too. Water changes are a good idea until you can get a test kit.

Once I found out that I am supposed to do weekly water changes, I started doing them. I just didnt know I had to do them weekly. I will get the test strips today though. :)

I would suggest instead of getting the strips you should get a liquid test kit. Yes more expensive up front but it will last you for months, 100's of tests instead of just 30 tests like strips. In the long run strips are more expensive & less accurate.

I would suggest instead of getting the strips you should get a liquid test kit. Yes more expensive up front but it will last you for months, 100's of tests instead of just 30 tests like strips. In the long run strips are more expensive & less accurate.

I really want a liquid test kit, but can't find one anywhere around here! The only liquid ones I can find test for ammonia only.

You can purchase them online & its usually less expensive. They only have the liquid ammonia test? I would get it instead of the ammonia test strips. I know where I live the ammonia strip test is separate from the others. Either way strips are better than nothing. Does your store do free water tests? If so, you might see if they're using strips or liquid. If liquid, I'd take a sample of water in to see if it matches the strip results that way you'll know roughly how far off +\- your results are.

You can purchase them online & its usually less expensive. They only have the liquid ammonia test? I would get it instead of the ammonia test strips. I know where I live the ammonia strip test is separate from the others. Either way strips are better than nothing. Does your store do free water tests? If so, you might see if they're using strips or liquid. If liquid, I'd take a sample of water in to see if it matches the strip results that way you'll know roughly how far off +\- your results are.

No, they won't test your my water for me. The liquid ammonia test is $23... Is that a good price?

No, they won't test your my water for me. The liquid ammonia test is $23... Is that a good price?

Ouch! That's about what you'd pay for an entire test kit online. I just looked at petsmarts website, the whole API Freshwater kit is $32 & the individual ammonia test is $10.99. I didn't think I paid much for the individual test when I needed to finally replace it in my kit. If you can buy from Amazon.com the whole kit is about $10 cheaper than anywhere else I've seen.

CHECK AMAZON.They have full test kits for 18$ and lower!and they're brand new I plan on buying one for myself soon

Back
Top Bottom