Help Stocking (40 gal)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aBabyGourami

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,I'm fairly new to fishkeeping and upgrading from a 5 gal to a 40 gal,since the 5 gal was so small.I'm thinking on stocking it with maybe an Angel and Pearl Gouramies,I would also like to add 8 Juli Cories. Thoughts on this?Please add some beautiful shoaling fish to the list and let me know what you think[emoji12]

The cories are fine. Pearl Gouramis can get large - 4-5 inches. One Angel? In my opinion, virtually all aquarium fish should be kept in groups, or at least pairs. They are happier and healthier that way, I believe. Angels can be a bit aggressive as well and might nip at the gouramis' fins. I'd skip the angel and add 20 tetras of some kind. Cardinals are attractive, so are Candy Cane Tetras. Or maybe danios or rasboras. A large school of fish is very attractive, much more so than one of this and two of that.

Can i maybe add rummy nose tetras?Instead of Cardinals

Sent from my SM-G360H using Tapatalk

Can i maybe add rummy nose tetras?Instead of Cardinals

Sure, Rummynoses are gorgeous and really tight schoolers. In a 40b you could easily fit a school of fifteen. They're big enough that angels won't try to make snacks out of them either.

Another possibility along with the Rummies is a pair of dwarf cichlids -- the apistogramma family. Apistogramma borelli is pretty, relatively peaceful, and easy to keep.

You've got plenty of time, so do your research. Patience pays off in this hobby. :)

Thanks for the reply, What do you think about the following stock

-3 Pearl Gourami
-15 Rummy Nose
-8 Juli cories

Sounds compatible? Anything i can add?

Thanks for the reply, What do you think about the following stock

-3 Pearl Gourami
-15 Rummy Nose
-8 Juli cories

Sounds compatible? Anything i can add?

These sound fine to me. Make sure you get one male and two female pearls, though. They're peaceful for gouramis*, but a male ready to breed can get pretty aggressive with a lone female. Two will make him divide his attentions. Also have decorations and plants the females can hide in when they feel stressed.

*(Golds, on the other hand, are thugs)

I'd stick with this stock list for now and see how it goes. Add the fish slowly. I'd do it in this order:

• All the Julis.
  • Half the Rummies
  • The other half of the Rummies
  • Then the Pearls.

Allow a week or two between adding fish to give your biofilter time to adjust. Perhaps I'm overly cautious, but this method has worked for me. :pimp:

And be sure to post picks when you get it set up! :popcorn:

That sounds like a plan,Thanks for the help ,i'll keep you updated with my tank with photos once it's gets here until its fully stocked

Unfortunetly i just found out that no Lfs has rummy nose tetras. Would Serpae tetras work for replacing my shoal of rummys?Or maybe some species of Danios but prefer serpae tetra

Serpae tetras are really nippy and might shred the fins of the gouramis. Could you ask the LFS's if they could special order the rummy noses?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Hi Fishobsessed , I alrrady did that and they gave me a list of fish which didnt include rummys

3fe477222160b9e9032455f8b3f01889.jpg

Okay, that amazes me they can't special order Rummys. :bad-words:

I agree that serpaes might not be appropriate, much as I love their coloring.

As a suggestion, you might consider Red Phantoms, also brightly colored, but much less nippy. Not sure how tight they are at schooling, though. Never owned any.

Ok i'll look in to them.But before i choose them ,I also like cherry barbs ,and many seem to refer to them as the least aggresive barb.Would they do well with my Pearl Gouramies?

I have a 20g with a DG and 4 and soon to be 6 bloodfin tetras and it looks pretty good. They school together so tight and swim around in a single file line and explore together. It is rather cool to watch. My DG doesn't seem to give them any attention as he sits in my big swords in the back of the tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom