Help: Swim bladder in a stunted goldfish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stefernini

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello, I rescued some goldies about three years ago, Gus and Fred were the only survivors. Gus is fine, and has nearly doubled in size. Fred was horribly stunted and hasn't grown at all. He has always been special, but only swam upside down sometimes. Now he swims upside down a lot, and has recently been having buoyancy issues to the point where he is floating upside down most of the time. They are in a 55 gallon running two aquaclear 70's. Ammo - 0, No2 - 0, No3 5ppm. I have salted the tank, and started Melafix as he also had a red sore on his chest. I feed Hikari sinking pellets once a day and frozen blood worms and cucumbers from time to time. I have not given him peas yet, but that is next on the list.

What else should I try? Does starving for a couple days really help?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: The Melafix is helping the sore, it's hardly visible at the moment, also he is still floating at the top today, but is upright at least.

I've read sometimes just stick a syringe needle in and remove the air that way, I would think that would hurt I wouldn't want to be stuck.

than theirs this method
img_3370201_0_f81b1d3d2893c77c94e5bfe67de06183.jpg

I personally wouldn't recommend using a syringe needle unless you're an animal health professional cuz it'd be difficult to tell if you're aiming in the right area (I don't even know if that's an option, never heard about it till now). It happens often that some of my goldfish (two of them in particular) get overexcited at feeding time and gulp so much air they end up floating on the top (upright). In the beginning I was concerned, but this has been going on for years now and they always just poop the air bubbles out. Then again they are not stunted as far as I know...otherwise I have heard there is usually success with the shelled peas combined with a couple days' fasting beforehand.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I am so not comfortable sticking him. I would be way too afraid of hitting the wrong thing. Anyway, he is upside down almost all the time the last couple days. I am on day two of starving him and then I will give him peas.

I don't know why I said Hikari, I feed New Life Spectrum sinking pellets.

Here is a video of Fred. I starved him for a couple days and then fed them peas last night. This is him today going for some pellets. As soon as he's tired, he goes right back to the top.

I ordered some Repashy food.

Any other ideas?

Here's another video, but I think I've done all that I can. So my next question: Aside from being upside down, he seems fine. He still wants to eat, still is interested when I come to the tank, still tries to swim around. How do I know when enough is enough? He's a fighter. He came from a disgusting situation, he survived ich, you guys helped me keep both of them alive thru a really horrid parasite infection, he's stunted, but he fights. He very well could stay upside down, but happy, for quite awhile. Do I let him be that way?

He's now been stuck upside down for a month. He has been unable to swim down from the top for two weeks. I've been feeding repashy and giving epsom salt baths for a week with no change. He just floats there until he sees me, then we waddles across the top to the front wanting food. He has started developing sores on his belly from exposure. I'm at a loss. :(

Back
Top Bottom