HELP! Tank is at 85!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PilotGav

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm not sure what to do. My 30 gallon tank is at 85° because of the heat. We have no air conditioning here.

Is there anything I can do to protect the fish?

I'm not sure what to do. My 30 gallon tank is at 85° because of the heat. We have no air conditioning here.

Is there anything I can do to protect the fish?

Do you have a tank heater? You could then turn it down....Otherwise you could do a pwc and put in a little cooler water, but not much cooler, as this will shock the fish. That's really all I can think of.

+1 on the water change with cooler water. Turn the heater down, what type of fish are they?

Maybe open the lid? Let some hot air out maybe? I dunno just thinking out loud.

If you use really powerful lights, keep them off. If your heater is set below 85 which it obviously is i dont think it will make a difference, but i suppose you could turn it off.

If it gets any hotter, you may want to set up a "glacier run-off" system. basically just buy a big block of ice and raise it above the tank, and let it slowly melt into the tank, I would just put it on a tray and cut a hole and let the water drip down into the tank. But IDK the ice may melt to fast. If it does, wrap it in something that insulates like foam or even a blanket. Just an idea, i have never had to deal with something like that.

You could buy a small AC to put next to the tank but $$$$$.

I hope your fish are ok, I would watch for signs of stress from the heat. Try a small wc with slow adding cooler water.

I have never had this problem personally but I know people who have. What they have done is open the lid and have a fan blow across the top of the water after a water change. They say it works.

Would def do a water change. That would be first on my list. Not too much cooler but cooler. The fan idea sounds good. So maybe the water change, leave the lid open and put a fan on it.

You could also try putting ice cubes in a zip lock bag and float them in the tank. Never put ice cubes directly in the tank though I

George9 said:
You could also try putting ice cubes in a zip lock bag and float them in the tank. Never put ice cubes directly in the tank though I

This works for sure I have done it but I froze a 2l pop bottle full of water and floated it in my tank just watch your temp and remove it when your at a normal temp. Also open lid and point a fan at the surface

ryan-peddle said:
This works for sure I have done it but I froze a 2l pop bottle full of water and floated it in my tank just watch your temp and remove it when your at a normal temp. Also open lid and point a fan at the surface

Even better!

Back
Top Bottom