HELP! Tropical fish with mysterious problem survives a week???Whats wrong???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

unknownsoldierr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, my yellow halfmoon tail tropical fish (I'm not sure what his species is called) has been not eating for a week. He started by not eating and swimming around strangely. I fed him peas, didn't eat them. I did a 75% water change and used ammonia clear, and stress coat. Then he started resting at the bottom with flaring gills for a long time, so I thought he would die soon like my past 2 fish that did that did. For 4 days since then I've been treating him with Melafix, just in case. Just yesterday, he finally ate food again, and was swimming around actively, seemingly because of the medicine. But last night, he proceeded to flip out and eat bubbles from the top of the tank, gasping for air. I put in more ammonia clear and stress coat with some Melafix instead of giving it to him the next morning again. This morning he was resting at the bottom again. He did a lot of gasping for air right around when he stopped eating, too. The only thing I've found that this is a sign of is a dirty tank, but I cleaned mine pretty well. Should I do another water change although he's undergoing Melafix treatment? Is there anything I can do? It's worrying me sick. Thanks so much.

Tell us about your tank, size, filtration, how long it's been running, is it cycled, how many fish, have you tested the water, give us as much info as you can

In response to floyd r turbo

My tank is 15 gallons. It has a standard filtration system (AquaTech) with carbon filter, and it was bought at walmart, but I don't notice any problems with the system. It's been running for about 2 1/2 months or so. By cycled I think you mean do I clean it... and yes, I do a 30% water change every week or so. I haven't tested the water because I don't have money for test kits but the only thing I haven't treated the water for is its level of nitrates. I have 3 fish total, and the other 2 fish seem just fine, except one of them has been having whitish poop, which I thought was weird... he's acting fine though.

Sounds like a betta. Do you know what the other 2 fish are?
By cycle he means the nitrogen cycle.
Best to do water changes every day for a while, and see what happens. Make sure you use dechlorinator and try to match the new water temp as close as possible to the temo in the tank.
The white poo could be because of stress of the meds you are using.

Sounds like a betta. Do you know what the other 2 fish are?
By cycle he means the nitrogen cycle.
Best to do water changes every day for a while, and see what happens. Make sure you use dechlorinator and try to match the new water temp as close as possible to the temo in the tank.
The white poo could be because of stress of the meds you are using.

Thank you, I will look up how to tend to the nitrogen cycle. I forgot to mention that the fish also had symptoms of popeye, so I gave him Mardel Maracyn Two. I cannot do water changes every day due to that. I am wondering, though, can I use Bright'nClear or like products during the treatment cycle?

I am not sure what the other two fish are either, I just know theyre tropical. One is red and pointy, one is white and silver dollar shaped.

Thanks for the response about the poo. That made me feel better.

Clean water will clear up popeye usually. Clean water is better than any meds, and I am pretty sure your problems are stemming from that. :(
Is the one with popeye the same one that has the white poo?
If you need to use meds, it's best to stick with all natural ones like Melafix and Pimafix, since they won't kill your good bacteria.
One of the fish might be a silver dollar, but I am not sure about the red and pointy one. Are you able to take any pics?

A tank typically takes 6 weeks to complete the nitrogen cycle with fish in it. During that time the fish get severely stressed, which is why you really should never cycle with fish. Treating them for the illness may kill off your bacteria and will force another cycle, stressing the fish even more.

First, Welcome! Secondly, +1 to Floyd and Dk's info.

I'll recommend three things to get your fish through.

1. Keep doing large water changes, temp matched and dechlorinated of course. 50% plus 3-4 times a week for 2 weeks will solve a lot of mysteries.
2. Stop adding anything other than dechlor (Prime is great stuff). Unless you have a solid diagnosis and a plan, meds do more harm than good. They are good profit though.
3. Try feeding frozen (thawed) bloodworms or mysis shrimp. If "fresh" protein doesn't get a betta to eat, nothing will IME.

Thanks you guys

Thank you both for your advice. I do realize that natural remedies are better, which is why I tried the homeopathic remedy first... however the antibiotics have magically revived my fish :D He's eating and swimming around and digesting magically better. I will take your advice, and do frequent water changes for a bit as soon as the medication period is up. To clarify, I should only add nitrite/ammonia leveling chemicals if the fish start to exhibit symptoms of ammonia or nitrite poisoning? Thanks again for your time, guys. You've been very comforting and informing.

Don't use the chemicals (Unless it's Prime Dechlorinator) and just stick with the regular water changes.
Glad your fish is doing better!!! :D

Back
Top Bottom