Help! URGENT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Critterlvrok

Aquarium Advice Activist
My killifish Sofie has tried to swallow an Otto and it appears it's stuck. It's tail is still moving but Sofie seems to be choking on it. What can I do?

Attachments

• image-115690392.jpg
    image-115690392.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 67
  • image-3413605917.jpg
    image-3413605917.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 69
If I recall correctly, otos, like all catfish, have barbs on them. He might well be stuck in there. Have you tried to gently get him out?

Yikes! Can you net her and gently wiggle the fish out? I don't know if fish choke to death since they breath with gills. Hopefully someone with more experience will see this.

I netted her and grabbed the Otto tail and held on to see if it would gently pull out. Nothing. I'm afraid to pull to hard, I'm afraid to tear something. However she is really in distress so I dont know what else to do

It appears to be stuck. I just tried again. I did a little push pull and it doesn't move at all. The Otto is still alive. Anyone know if she will finally swallow it? Or do I need to euthanize her? Sniff sniff. She is one of my favs.

I know it would be stressful, but could you take some needle nose pliers and go in far enough to grab the barb or dorsal fin of the Oto? Kind of like removing a fish hook?

Thank you for the suggestions but I had to put her to sleep. She was laying in her side barely breathing and didn't even fight when I netted her and picked her up. I couldn't watch her suffer anymore. Not a good day.

I've read that Otos have spines for protection and when they are "eaten" by another fish you are likely to lose both fish... I'm sorry... I hope it dislodges without injury...

Critterlvrok said:
Thank you for the suggestions but I had to put her to sleep. She was laying in her side barely breathing and didn't even fight when I netted her and picked her up. I couldn't watch her suffer anymore. Not a good day.

I'm sorry for the loss of them both.. :-(

Back
Top Bottom