Help! What is wrong with my neon tetra?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishless cycle

Aquarium Advice Activist
One of my neon tetras has always been smaller and a lighter red than the others. I always thought he was so cute because his eyes looked too big for him - not massively but slightly bulged. Now I'm concerned that he might have been sick. About two weeks ago I noticed his fins were tatty and I added some finrot medicine to the tank. All water tests are good although KH is a little high so I'm bringing that down with small pure RO pwcs.

I went away for a few days and my friend has fed my fish whilst I've been away and I've come back to my little neon with almost no fin tail - more like a stub and so I added a second dose of medicine (its been over a week since the first dose) but I think it's knocked him out he is so skinny his eyes are bulged and he isn't moving much at all. I think he's dying but I'm not sure. I have put him in a separator ridgid net which hangs over the side of my tank to keep the other fish away from him. He seems dead as he is lying on the bottom of the net but when I put my hand in and gently move the net under him he tries to swim and wiggles enough to move to the other end of the net. What should I do? Will he revive himself? Can I save him?

I don't think it's NTD as he is pale all over and has no spot.

I'd euthanize at this point if I was you.

Thanks but I've never killed a fish before. What do I need to do?

Do you think he might pull through if I leave him until the morning? He is safe from the other fish.

I'd worry more about whatever disease your fish has (internal parasites perhaps?) spreading to your other fish than the others finishing off that one.

One the rare occasions I've had to put a fish down I've done it via rapid chilling. Put a container of water in the freezer until it just starts to freeze and drop the little guy in. It's over quick.

I'd worry more about whatever disease your fish has (internal parasites perhaps?) spreading to your other fish than the others finishing off that one.

One the rare occasions I've had to put a fish down I've done it via rapid chilling. Put a container of water in the freezer until it just starts to freeze and drop the little guy in. It's over quick.

Thanks for your help. I read up about putting fish to sleep with clove oil and then after it has fallen asleep to add vodka and then to check its breathing etc. if its still alive this morning (its 6am over here) then i will go out and buy clove oil. I have kept it apart from the other fish so they won't be able to eat him and catch anything.

Thanks again for your help. I'm sad to be losing him :(

An update... I bought the clove oil but by the time i got home he had died. At least he went quite quickly. I'm glad that I kept him in the net which hung over the tank so he was left alone. Plus I didn't want the others to eat him and catch whatever he had. Bless him.

I went to the lfs to get some RO for my tank and said i had bought clove oil for my dying neon and they laughed at me and said that I was being a bit over the top it's only a neon tetra. Kind of annoyed me... even though a neon tetra is a small fish it was still a life. I think they should be given as much care as the others. Wouldn't like to think what they do with their dying fish at that shop. ?

Back
Top Bottom