help white cotton looking filament growing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buffalochip

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 10 day old tank cycling with fish (didnt read enough first) and I have a whitesh film forming on some of my decor. suspect overfeeding may have helped start this. 37 gal tank. 6 cardinal tetras, 6 glofish tetras 2 corys. starting from scratch I had no old gravel or filter to use so I added some purchased bacteria that was supposed to start the tank cycling.
so far I have done nothing but syphon out what i could and changed 20% water.
anyone have experience with this I would greatly appreciate any advice:banghead:

I would suggestion heading over to the getting started section and reading about fish in cycling.

Do you have a test kit? Liquid is the best and most accurate way of testing.

I'd do daily water changes and testing to monitor your cycle and see how it's coming along.

Also after you finished cycling I would look at bumping up the corydora to 5+ as they like schools.

Caleb

^^THIS^^
You need a test kit and to say what bacteria(brand ) you added.
You will likely need to change way more water ,way more often with cardinals and cories as a cycling fish as they will not tolerate any slips IMO.
Need to know parameters.
ammonia,nitrIte,nitrate.

Is said decor driftwood?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

50% water change !
No less!
Ammonia nor nitrite should not be allowed to be over 1 ppm.
The amount of water removed is the amount the nutrient will be removed.
Example;
ammonia of 2 ppm in a 20 g tank with 10 g water change would yield an ammonia reading of 1ppm(as 1/2 was removed with the water).
So there even more would need to be done or done again the next day at the latest.
Multiple waterchanges a day are all good if done correctly.
Match temp within 2-3 degrees(don't guess) and condition with a product like prime,safe ,amquel... to remove chlorine/chloramines and detoxify "heavy metals".
Cycling" fish in" is an accelerated course in fishkeeping IMO.
You will change water forever if you keep fish.
You will change a lot of water now,tomorrow and the day after (for a month possibly) if you want to cycle with fish in.
No joke!
The cards and cories are poor choice for this experiment IMO,and if you do well you have achieved no easy task.
Change water and keep testing(daily).
Good luck

You said you added bacteria?

Back
Top Bottom