Help with algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YoungGuppy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Have a 16gal with Marineland LED light bar. It was on for 6 hours but I had to cut back to 4 1/2 hours because of algae. I have plants that are thriving with this amount of light and don't want to cut back again, but the algae is also thriving... I can rub it off with my fingers but it just comes back. It's even making my white sand filthy. I tried to get cherry shrimp but they all escaped and died.... I don't want snails. What can I get?
I have 5 female guppies. It is medium planted.

Attachments

• image-3936505519.jpg
    image-3936505519.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 56
  • image-86894415.jpg
    image-86894415.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 59
Cutting. Back the lighting would have been my first move. Is the tank exposed to any natural light from a window of skylight etc?

Check for high nitrates and phosphates. You can get phosphate test kits.

If it's a fairly new tank then algae can be a problem at first. This is what I've read but I'm not sure what the reasons are behind that statement.

Look at the balance Nitrates/phosphates levels should be at 10:1, minimum light for plants is 6hrs.

Is it a new tank? If its the brown film I'm seeing, it's diatoms. Don't worry about it. That's a fairly common problem with sand substrates whine they're new. My 180 had a TON of it when it started. Eventually the diatoms will consume the silicates in the water and that brown film will disappear.

Back
Top Bottom