Help with aquarium accessories?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missmonday

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone,

I've recently purchased a 28G tank with tons of accessories for a really great deal! I'm really happy about it, but as I'm a total noob to the aquarium hobby, there are a few things I don't really know how to use or what exactly to do. I tried to look up info online, and only got a little.

I have some AquaZone charged media pads, nitrate reducer. It says it can be cut to fit. Should I just cut off a little chunk and put it somewhere? Is this a sponge filter?

There's also some sort of air pumps also included, one isa rio 180? I don't know if I'll use it because there seems to be flow enough in the tank with just the filter, and I'm looking at getting fish that prefer lower flow anyway.

Thanks for helping me out!

Welcome! Glad to have you here and part of the hobby!

Air pumps are mainly used for aesthetic purposes such as air stones and bubble walls. Totally optional for you to run it.

Have you read about the Nitrogen Cycle that happens inside our tanks?

Caleb

Air stones are also used to provide ample surface agitation to create more oxygen transfer. This is helpful in high temperature tanks as warmer water has less oxygen in it. I could be mistaken, but I think a Rio 180 is a submersible water pump/powerhead and not an air pump.

Jesse

A water pump/powerhead is just to create more bubbles/oxygen in the tank, right? I only have 10 gold cloud mountain minnows in the tank now, so I'm only using the tetra whisper 45x (something) filter, but I have a fluval u2 filter that I plan on using when I get more fish in the tank.

However, I don't want too much airflow in there? Still kind of new, so how much is "too much"?

A water pump/powerhead is just to create more bubbles/oxygen in the tank, right? I only have 10 gold cloud mountain minnows in the tank now, so I'm only using the tetra whisper 45x (something) filter, but I have a fluval u2 filter that I plan on using when I get more fish in the tank.

However, I don't want too much airflow in there? Still kind of new, so how much is "too much"?

People run bubble strips all the time.. I'd say too much is when it looks like a boiling pot and you can't find the fish. In all seriousness though it's however much you want in there, air stones are cosmetic.

Edit: see its a powerhead now, powerheads are used to keep flow in a tank as stagnant water can harbor algae. As long as you are not blowing your fish into the glass it's fine.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom