Help with Aquarium Set Up!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

misscrosson

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone! So, afew years ago I gave up with my 70galllon, last year I had a 10gallon which was just too small ..... now I want to get going again but this time want to be prepared before spending money!!

I've always wanted an angelfish set up ... I'm unsure on how many do well together but was thinking 2-4 of them, just would like to use them as the center piece fish in my tank!

My question here is, what size tank would do well for the angelfish? I don't want anything large, the smaller the better ... maybe a 30 or 40 gallon?

Also, what would you suggest be good to keep in the tank with angelfish?

Please leave all of your suggestions, hope to go out and buy a used or new aquarium in the next week or two, and get working on setting it up and cycling it.

People say try and keep angelfish in even numbers.

Otherwise one of them cant get left out.

A tall aquairim not necessaries long but tall

Sorry hopefully someone else will chirp in with some more information

I had some Angels way back when...Managed to have them mate so I'd say they were happy. Have to say I love angels myself.

So some advice from what I know about angels:

Keep in mind that angels can get kind of nippy as they mature.

They tend to say 29 gallons minimum for angels and I second the comment a on tall tank. They like the depth.

Larger angels will also eat smaller fish like neon tetras (or similarly sized fish) so keep that in mind.

As to tank mates, bottom dwellers (think smaller plecos, cories) will be ok with angels. And also keep in mind that angels have dangling and flowing bits of fins so other things that nip aren't the best idea.

so around a 30gallon deep tank would be good?

also, I was thinking of getting 3 or 4 angelfish, and waiting to see if any pair ... or which two get along better, and only keep two ... and rehome the other two, or maybe move to another tank .... or if I just go with two from the beginning, would two males/two females be fine together?

how many corycats could I also put in the tank, I was thinking 3-5? and then some rasboras, how much would be a good number? I know they like being kept in groups.

I'm clueless on how to stock a tank, would any other fish be able to join the tank? or would I be better to go with a 40gallon deep?

It depends on the total number of fish going in the aquarium.
Angelfish (Pterophyllum scalare) actually get pretty big, around 6" long and up to 10" tall.

Angel fish will do best in an aquarium that is at least 18" high and 48" long. This will give the fish adequate space to live. You could put 1 or 2 in a 29g, but I would go no more than two. I would suggest a 55 gallon as it will give you decent height and plenty of length to have 4 angels and some companions. It is a misconception that these fish prefer depth to length, they merely required enough depth to allow for their height.

Angel fish are aggressive when kept in large number so the idea of just 2 or 3 is a good one. As for good tank mates you definitely want medium to large fish anything to small will get eaten. I would suggest a Cory or African dwarf frog.

To start out, I would get four to five juvenile ( quarter ish sized) and allow them to mature together and pair off. Once two do pair up they will pester the others so remove the rest. I have seven Angels in my tank right now. Im in the process of sexing them. This can only be done when the are mating. I also keep glofish in the tank. I agree with a 55g tank as it gives you ample space for them to mate. They get very aggressive when mating.

It takes anywhere from six months to a year. You can tell when they pair as the will stick together and begin to clean an area of the tank to spawn on. Then they protect that area aggressively.

Back
Top Bottom