HELP!! with Bolivian Ram

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Davies97

Aquarium Advice Freak
MY Bolivian Ram is resting on gravel and swinging side to side its like he going to tople on it's side whats wrong with him HELP

First we need more info.
Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH?
Tank size?
Tank mates?
PWC schedule?
When was last PWC and what size?
How long have you had the fish?
How was it acclimated?

Had my water checked and pH and Things are ok. PWC once a week 40%. 54L (14 Gallons) 5 Guppies, 2 Danios, 2 Cories, Pleco,2 Kuhuli Loaches and 5 neons. 3 Months ive had the tank

Davies97 said:
Had my water checked and pH and Things are ok. PWC once a week 40%. 54L (14 Gallons) 5 Guppies, 2 Danios, 2 Cories, Pleco,2 Kuhuli Loaches and 5 neons. 3 Months ive had the tank

What was used to test? what where the exact numbers?
IMO your tank is over stocked so the nitrAtes are probably getting high fairly fast.
Do a PWC and see if he perks up.
Is he showing any other signs of stress? Any marks? How long have you had him?

My LPS checked my water so dont know exacted number i've had him for 4 days and he lost his stress bars yesterday which was a good sign

He couldnt keep himself straight and was side swimming and even swimming upside down. He just died and all i could do is watch. :'(

Davies97 said:
He couldnt keep himself straight and was side swimming and even swimming upside down. He just died and all i could do is watch. :'(

Oh I'm so sorry! GBRs are quite sensitive fish. Sometimes they die from the shock of moving to a new tank. They also need pristine water conditions. Look up drip acclimating for next time you get a fish.

before you get any new fish you should get an api liquid test for ammonia, nitrate and ph. you need to be able to test whenever something like this comes up. that could make the difference between your fish living or dying. if it was high nitrates you would have found out immediately and could do a water change to keep things in check. you also could have had a spike in your ammonia if you added some new fish. again a quick test could give you that information. i am assuming that your tank is cycled? for how long? and you have too many fish in a 14 gal. your nitrates will build very quickly. also bolivian rams and gbr's are very sensitive to water conditions and need pristine water parameters.

Davies97 said:
Leopard Pleco

Do u have somewhere to our him when he gets too big. They get up to about 20in and really shouldn't be in a tank smaller than 100 gallons. How big is he now?

2 inches when he grows bigger i will sell it to LPS again

Davies97 said:
2 inches when he grows bigger i will sell it to LPS again

OK glad u have a plan and are prepared. U can always uprgade your tank too, I u have the room :). He could be increasing the nitrate levels in your tank too since he isn't meant for that size tank

Carnt upgrade tank because i only have a small space on my desk if i was to upgrade it would be 1 or 2 gallons more

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom