Help with clownfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AbelR1975

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had a clownfish for a while. It's been doing great. On August 10, I bought another clownfish and a Sebae anemone. The clownfish was smaller than my original. When I put them together, my original one grabbed the new one by the tail and held on for several seconds. I expected the new one to submit. Then over the next couple of hours, when they got close to each other, they both started to roll over and shake. So, I don't know which one is going to be female. Well, over this past week, I have barely been able to get the new clown to eat. I've seen it swim up to food and look at it, then swim off. Is this normal? My original one is like a garbage disposal! Lol

The photos are from the 18th.

I fed them with some garlic last night. Jr seemed like he picked at the food a little bit. That was encouraging. Tonight...not so much. He seems pretty lethargic. Also, his top and bottom fins seem to stay folded in. I uploaded a couple of videos of this from tonight.
Video 1 Video 2

I contacted the LFS and they said that they feed the clownfish frozen mysis and cyclopeeze. Any thoughts? I'm out of ideas, and it has now been 11 days with minimal eating.

I have tried the following:
Frozen Mysis
Frozen brine shrimp
Frozen reef plankton
Frozen emerald entre
Diced squid
Diced shrimp
Garlic
New Life Spectrum Marine Fish pellets
Fluval color max fish flakes

I've also tried to feed the anemone, but haven't had much luck. I guess I don't really know what to look for. I've feed it raw shrimp and squid. It kind of closes around it, but my original clownfish is a butthead. It swims up to the anemone, then rubs up against it a LOT, so that the anemone opens. Then it grabs the food and drops it. Wth????

Attachments

• IMG_5340.jpg
    IMG_5340.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_5341.jpg
    IMG_5341.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_5342.jpg
    IMG_5342.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_5343.jpg
    IMG_5343.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 95
You may want to qt the next one you try, it's easier to get them eating in a qt tank IME. Also try one that's decently smaller than the one you currently have, usually helps aggression/dominance issues. Sorry for you loss, sucks loosing fish

Back
Top Bottom