Help with fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Susieqhu

Aquarium Advice Newbie
107346-albums14623-picture70813.jpg
I have been doing a fishless cycle on a new 150 gallon tank. I started it Christmas Eve. I keep the water temp at 82 degrees. I have been adding the ammonia up to 4ppm but it is only taking it about 4 hours to drop back down to .50 or 1 . My nitrites are off the chart with the API master test kit and my nitrates have been staying at 10 for about 4 days now. I done the partial water change and added a pinch of the ground up fish food yesterday morning and still the same results. So what am I to do now ? Is this normal ? If not how do I fix it?

Last edited:
It usually takes a month or more to cycle a tank completely, so I wouldn't get too worried yet. One thing that I like to do when cycling a new tank (I'm sure some aquarists don't agree), is to put a piece of filter media directly in the tank that was taken from the filter of a well established, healthy tank. It usually serves to jump-start bacterial growth. Driftwood, rocks, or even substrate will also work; anything that has a surface area where bacteria can grow well, but filter media seems to work best for me.

Agree on the filter media. Also you don't need to keep dosing to 4 ppm daily. Only add more when it gets to 0. And for the start, dosing to 1 or 2 ppm is plenty. It normally takes about a week for each stage to start, so converting nitrite to nitrate will start later than the ammonia stage.

It took forever for nitrites to disappear for me.

Back
Top Bottom