Help with flashing & recent Deaths!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheLadySmoke

Aquarium Advice Regular
Water:
ammo 0
nitrites 0
nitrate 5ppm

Temp: 80F
Ph: 7
45G Tank, set up in November, it is cycled
Fluval C4 Filter (rated 40-70g)

Current Fish:
3 Molly
4 Yoyo Loach
9 Serpae Tetra
1 Rubber Lip Pleco
1 Albino Paradise Fish

Visible Problem: my fish have been randomly flashing, it was periodic but now is happening more and more.. It got a lot worse after I added the loaches (5 days ago?)

No visible signs of ich!

Yesterday - Molly died. Molly started acting lethargic, stopped eating a couple days ago. (After loaches were added)

Today - Pleco died. Brand new baby bristlenose pleco (super small, got him with the loaches) died after the first 24 hrs in my tank.. No signs of anything odd.. He was swimming around sucking glass and decor, woke up this morning and he was dead. Took him back to the store and traded for a larger (still small, couple inches in size.. Rubber lip pleco) hoping that bigger will mean hardier than the baby.

Now my Paradise Fish is being lethargic, laying on the bottom.. She goes up to the top to take air once in a while then goes back down and lays on the sand.. I have a feeling she is not going to make it much longer. (She's a newer fish as well, added 2 days ago)

I probably added too many fish in a short period of time, but I've been testing my water and it's been really good.

Not sure what to do! Can I treat the whole tank for parasites and/or ich with no ill effects, even if it is not one of these things?

Do a large water change make sure you add some kind if water conditioner the best thing you can do if your fish aren't acting right is clean the water

Sounds like stress... Add some anti stress stuff and a 35-40% water change

And do 25% changes daily for a week

Should clear up.

So you guys don't think it's parasites or something like that? Can I add medication to the water just to be safe or does that harm/stress the fish if there is no parasites?

Keep watching for reddened gills and spots. Ich can attack the gills with not many visible spots. There are also gill flukes that could attack. are they just flashing? Or trying to scrape themselves? I think you could go ahead and treat if you want, since you already have some deaths.

Back
Top Bottom