Help with identification please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zoloftphreak

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! I'm completely new to this forum and thought it would be a great place to look for help. I've been through quite a lot since setting up my tank about 2 months ago. My most recent problem is that I've noticed some odd things growing from my ferns. I've researched a bit but can't determine if it is sproutlings or algae! Maybe something entirely different?? All helpful replies are greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20171028_133641.jpg
    IMG_20171028_133641.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 90
If that's Java Fern, that's how it multiplies. Looks like you are doing well with them.

If that's Java Fern, that's how it multiplies. Looks like you are doing well with them.

The bright fern on the left is Amazon Sword, and the darker one on the right side of the picture is Java Fern. I did notice a little sprout on one of the bigger leaves but wasn't sure if there was a connection. :thanks: for the reassurance! I'm very glad it's not a wormy fungus or some other awful parasite :eek:

That is algae. Most likely a type of what is referred to as staghorn. The sword leaves are pretty badly beat up but that is most likely because they are still in the emersed form. Now they have been placed underwater the sword will send out new leaves from the base. When this happens you can remove all the emersed leaves.

That is algae. Most likely a type of what is referred to as staghorn. The sword leaves are pretty badly beat up but that is most likely because they are still in the emersed form. Now they have been placed underwater the sword will send out new leaves from the base. When this happens you can remove all the emersed leaves.
I had moved the sword once before and something like a bulb came off the roots, so I just put it under the gravel and a new sword fern sprouted and is growing. Is the giveaway that it's algae the difference in types of fern? Since it's clearly on both types? I have had little hope for the Java since I got it. It has a tiny sprout on a leaf that I think I can move to the gravel, unless you advise against that? The two original ferns were not very healthy when they arrived in the mail. Thank you for your insight!

Non of the plants look like java fern to me. They all look like amazon sword plants.

Normally when you submerge a plant that has been grown out of water it will discard the leaves perhaps using some of the mobile elements towards new growth. When a leaf is not at optimal conditions it will begin to grow algae.

Only focus on the new leaves. Replace water more often as the decaying process of the discarded leaves releases unwanted biological chemicals that can feed more algae and reduce oxygen levels. You’d have to have a massive die out to reduce oxygen levels significantly but you get the idea. Keep the tank clean.

Are you feeding the plants?

I have not been feeding the plants, my main priority has been my fish. If the live plants pose a risk to my fish I would be more than happy to remove them lol. As I've already had some fry batches come and go I thought the plants would make it easier for the babies to survive but it seems the original plants are just polluting more than helping. Due to the picture size and enhancing I did, the two ferns in it may seem like the same but they are as I said earlier, two different types. There are definitely some dead leaves I can remove. I was hesitant to, however, cuz when I pulled at them they still seemed connected to the roots and I didn't want to damage any good tissue left. I will start by cutting the problematic leaves and see where that takes me! About the little sprout on one of the leaves? Should I plant it into my gravel or just leave it be?

The plants are a good all round addition. You are just experiencing the same thing everyone does when adding new plants. The key is to make their new life underwater as easy as possible. The plants need looking after too [emoji846]

You can buy liquid fertilisers to help the plants along. These contain elements like nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium and others that have all the elements plants need in smaller quantities like iron, zinc and copper.

Sometimes tap water and the waste created by fish and the food you add contains enough nutrition for the plants to get by. Often times it is not enough. Particularly if your light is emitting too much energy. If your light is classed as ‘high’ and you don’t have enough carbon and/or nutrients the plants can not store energy to build new leaves. If you see a new leaf that means the plants in the current environment have adequate means to survive. If the new leaves are deformed, twisted or pale then they need more ‘food’.

New sword plant leaves often start off quite thin and translucent. This is because the new leaves need to be able to get the gases that are no longer abundant in water as they were in air in and out of the leaf so a thinner less waxy leaf makes sense.

To remove sword leaves run your thumb down the stem right into the gravel and the leave will peel off. Cutting them will leave some stem that will turn brown and look unsightly.

IMG_2043.jpg

Here are some swords that have optimal conditions. The means used to get the swords to these condition are much different than what you have in your tank but this does not mean they cannot grow healthily.

Oh wow. My plants are nowhere near that size, but I believe they are off to a good start. Especially with your provided wisdom. Thanks a bunch Caliban!!!

Almost a month later, I had removed the bad and the plants are flourishing and making new plants. I still have the algae growing on the live plants and it has even moved onto the fake plants, and along my filter intake. I'm tempted to try a chemical fix, but also thinking about getting either invertebrates or some type of fish to combat the algae growth. I've had one lyretail molly pass away since I last wrote- had some white feces and passed away a couple days later. I've laxed on checking my levels recently but am going to recheck right now and probably do a 30% water change regardless of the result. I've captured 3 wag platy fry and they are doing well in a breeding net. I'm still concerned about the algae, somewhat at a loss on how to get a handle on it. -update on update- I have also been picking out snails that hitched a ride into my tank from an unknown source, some are getting larger and I know a few are ok to have but I've noticed some goopy snail eggs on my heating element for the tank. I may save up some money and purchase a larger tank to transfer my fish into as this tank is developing too fast for me to keep up...

Last edited:
Almost a month later, I had removed the bad and the plants are flourishing and making new plants. I still have the algae growing on the live plants and it has even moved onto the fake plants, and along my filter intake. I'm tempted to try a chemical fix, but also thinking about getting either invertebrates or some type of fish to combat the algae growth. I've had one lyretail molly pass away since I last wrote- had some white feces and passed away a couple days later. I've laxed on checking my levels recently but am going to recheck right now and probably do a 30% water change regardless of the result. I've captured 3 wag platy fry and they are doing well in a breeding net. I'm still concerned about the algae, somewhat at a loss on how to get a handle on it. -update on update- I have also been picking out snails that hitched a ride into my tank from an unknown source, some are getting larger and I know a few are ok to have but I've noticed some goopy snail eggs on my heating element for the tank. I may save up some money and purchase a larger tank to transfer my fish into as this tank is developing too fast for me to keep up...

Hey mate there is a few steps U can take before resorting to chemicals. Chems will fix the problem but it will happen again if you don’t find the cause of the problem.

First thing is lowering your lighting. If your lights are too bright you’ll get algae. If you can, knock back your light period to no more than 8 hours a day (if it isn’t already) if it’s only 8 hours I’d suggest dimming the light abit (if u don’t have a dimmer you can raise the fixture above the tank).

If your plants are struggling (no ferts etc) then algae will take over the rotting plant matter. You want your plants to be healthy so they can put compete the algae. I’d suggest adding root tabs under your plants (can be made with 00 gel caps and osmacote plus).

Your plants would also appreciate some form of water column dosing. Seachem flourish is a good product for a low tech aquarium like yours. Just follow the directions on the label.

You’ll want a carbon source of some kind. Seachem excel or api co2 booster will help add some carbon to your tank to help you plants absorb nutrients and speed up the growth to put compete algae. Follow the directions on the bottle and you can’t go wrong.

Filter flow also plays a big part in a planted tank. The general rule is aim for 8-10x tank volume per hour. You want to make sure that all areas of the tank have a gentle flow. (Plants should have a little sway to them).

Hope this helps [emoji106]

I've got two filters going, and the tank has a pretty strong current in it with the bubbler being under the filter outputs. I've added 4 otocinclus and a rubber lip pleco tonight, I will definitely look into making those capsules and the fertilizer for the plants. My main concern and priority are my fish and I'd really rather not add more liquids and chemicals if I don't have to ya know? I'm closely watching my tank, but I fear it is advancing far too fast for me to keep up with learning what I need to know lol. I was assuming that the carbon in the filters would be enough for the plants? The filter pads are changed roughly once a month.

As for the lighting, I have one of these: http://a.co/guaO0Cb /NICREW LED Aquarium Light - White and Blue LEDs, which I turn on after I wake up around 10am and switch to night mode around 6pm and completely off around 10pm. The tank gets no direct sunlight but ambient lighting since it is in my living room. For now I will keep watching, and keep the fertilizer and all you have said in mind. I am extremely grateful for your reply!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Carbon in the filter pads is not a help. Carbon remains active for anywhere from 5, average, around 7, to 10 days on the high side. Fish poop and food waste (which is not wanted to really keep IN the tank because you want clean water for the fish) are not even close to enough.

But easy fix with liquid ferts or next level up is mixing dry ferts, cheaper but not a very big deal in a smaller sized take because you don't have to use too much.

There are plenty of plants in low light category which require very little extra work.

Not very complicated to keep plants if you keep a lower to medium light tank.

You can add simple things like a Marimo Moss ball, or stem plants which just float on top of the water, like Anacharis /Elodea, just ask lfs which plants seem to grow best for everyone in your areas water Anubias Nana, Nana Petite, Barteri (these are planted with the rhizome /stem on a rock or DW or setting wedged in a stone or corner.)

There is no hurry to keep plants but they can improve water quality and fish like them.

Planted Tank Basics - Aquarium Advice

Plants are king when they are healthy. If they are not healthy they can actually contribute to the problems. A negative feedback if you like.

Carbon in the filter serves a different purpose. It is used to remove ‘pollutants’ from the aquarium that discolour the water and makes it appear clearer. It will not provide a source of carbon for the plants.

These will help I can assure you.

http://www.seachem.com/flourish-excel.php

https://www.easylife.eu/products/freshwater/plant-food/easycarbo

You have a decision to make as these are both chemicals. Chemicals that will both help plants and destroy algae. If dosed correctly or even a little bit more than instructions state they pose no threat to the fish.

I was using it in the tank I posted earlier. The fish and shrimp in that tank were extremely healthy.

The reason they fight algae is because they actually have mild algaecide properties. This helps the plants obtain carbon underwater and provides them with a small source. If you were thinking of resorting to chemicals anyway then this is the way to go. They are endorsed by reputable aquarium trade companies and so the risk to livestock is minimal if dosed sensibly. Unlike this chap....

https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/pump-timer-issue-and-liquid-carbon-overdose.36942/

He does state in another thread that a couple of fish did actually die which I thought he should have updated here but this is a 50x overdose. You will never go anywhere remotely close to this.

Get a liquid carbon source as suggested above and so nutrients and call it good. Might need some algae wafers for the Pleco, bit of driftwood and the occasional blanched veggie.

Good luck

Thank you Autumnsky, Caliban! I am less reluctant to use the liquid fertilizers now. I've ordered some and will post an update to this thread a while later. You've all been a great help :smitten:

Back
Top Bottom