help with light fixture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dfahie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all,

I he been looking at 3 different light fixtures for my 125 ( 72 long , 18 wide , 22 tall ) below are the listed choices in no particular order. The tank will be planted and have fish. The plants I will be growing will be Swords, anubias, java ferns, various Cryptocoryne, I would like to try Red Tiger Lotus and Barclaya red. I do have a c02 system in the tank as well. Two of the Three choices are from aquatraders, the last being from eBay from Topdogsellers.

First choice

72" T5 Quad High Output Light Fixture with Timer 6500K 179.90

this unit has 320 watt output and comes with a timer. I have read that the unit catch fire, mounting clips are horrible and that you need to purchase new bulbs from the get go. I want to make sure this info is update and accurate, so if anyone has experiences with this brand please let me know

Second Choice

Green Element EVO Quad Reef LED Light Fixture 72" (TR) 335.90

this unit has 96 3w for an output of 288 watts, 12960 Lumens, 76x 10,000K LED, 20x Actinic 460nm LED. I have also read mixed reviews on the manufacture, but nothing to crazy.

Third Fixture is

72" LED Quad 3W Light System by Beamworks (Timer Ready) 305.95$

this unit has 112 3w for a total of 336 watts, 84x 10000K , 28x Actinic 460nm, 17000 lumens, Includes 4 cooling fans, 2x manual two mode on/off switch - Mode 1 turns on all LEDs / Mode 2 turns on the two middle rows. I do need to order timer for this unit though. I have not read anything to bad about this manufacture

I have been contemplating between t5 ho and LED's for the past few weeks, I'm still 50/50 because some people say it will not work on plants due to "not there yet", to much money, spectrum off ; things of this nature. Only really bad thing I been reading about t5 HO's is the energy cost, heating and new bulbs Every 6 months or so and that LEDs are the future. If there is a comparable 72 inch T5 HO or LED out there that you would suggest that is not listed, feel free to mention it, I am all years Any help in deciding is much appreciated.

I don't have the 72", I have 2 36" Quad fixtures. I elected to go with the 36" due to the fact that the 72" only uses 60" bulbs. This leaves a darker area at each end of the tank. As far as them catching on fire its not the HO fixtures. It was the Metal Halide HO combo that they had trouble with. I have been running the first Quad I bought for almost a year. No bulb burn outs, or any other problems. I don't use the LED lights, so I can't comment on them.
I'll PM you where I got mine, they were the most reasonable on price.

Back
Top Bottom