Help with new danios

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blackadder

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am an ignorant beginner. I recently set up a 29-gallon tank and let it run for 2 1/2 weeks before buying fish. On the advice of the local fish store guy, I bought 4 zebra danios last Sunday. They seemed fine at first, but last night I wiped the outside of the aquarium with a paper towel, which made a squeaking noise and seemed to frighten them. Since then, they hide in the plants or behind the heater and rarely come out, even if I feed them. When they do come out, the appear to be aggressive towards each other.

Help!

I dont think cleaning the outside of your glass would cause that kind of reaction. Do you know what your ammonia and nitrite levels are? Have you done a water change since you put them in the tank? I would do a water change about 35-50% and test your water or have your LFS test it for you.

Your tank is cycling and I would imagine your ammonia levels are starting to rise. Here is an article on the nitrogen cycle.

Good luck and Welcome to AA!!!!

Blackadder said:
When they do come out, the appear to be aggressive towards each other.

Help!

The other posts are great to address your tank's water parameters. Ammonia and/or nitrites in your water could be causing listless behavior in your fish. Also, if they seem redder than usual, then the ammonia/nitrite levels may be really high!

I wanted to comment about the aggressive behavior you described. Zebra danios are very active fish and will typically "play tag" and chase each other around. Is that the type of behavior you're seeing? If so, then it may not be aggression - but just regular zebra danio behavior.

Good luck!

We've got 4 Zebra Danios and I've noticed the same behavior. They'll chase each other every so often, but it isn't something that's caused me concern. I was told that, if the tank can handle it, to get a couple more as they are a schooling fish and would do better.

Typically danios do better in larger numbers, as far as behavior goes. Not all, but some people who house 1 to 3 tend to notice them harrassing others, aswell as themselves. Please let us know of your water parameteres and it will aid us in determining your tank conditions and perhaps the reason for them hiding.

Welcome to AA :D

Back
Top Bottom