help with new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikemac

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just set up my new 60 gallon freshwater tank. It has been set up for 2 weeks and i cycled it with fish. I got the water checked yesterday and all my levels were perfect.

My one blood parrot seems like it hasnt eaten when i fed it in like a week. It is swimming around fine and there are noi black spots to simulate stress. any ideas on whats going on? ive been feeding them every other day or every 2 days with the tank cycling.

Also, i moved my bala shark from my old 30 to my new 60. Ive had him for about 2 years. will he get alot bigger now that he is in a bigger tank? he is pretty tiny still and didnt grow much in my 30.

I don't know how or with what the fish store tested your water with but unless you seeded your 60g with filter material from your 30g it didn't cycle in 2 weeks. You need to get an API master test kit so you can monitor your tank levels properly. In order for the tank to cycle it needs to have ammonia readings, then as ammonia goes down, nitrites go up, then as nitrites go down, nitrates start going up. It's only cycled when ammonia and nitrite readings are 0 and you have some nitrates. Do you have a planted tank or is it fish only? If your tank isn't properly cycled like I suspect the reason your fish might be off his feed due to ammonia readings being raised.

Reactions: jlk
I just set up my new 60 gallon freshwater tank. It has been set up for 2 weeks and i cycled it with fish.
Did you cycle it with the blood parrot in question? If so, that might be the problem. Fish go through a lot of physiological stress when they live in a tank full of toxins. Even if they make it through the cycling process, their lifespan can be shortened considerably.

David

i have been running the old filter with the new one, used all the gravel from the old tank, used some of the older water and used quick start and all my reading for ammonia and all are at 0

You still probably had some low ammonia and nitrite readings in the beginning which as DavidAl stated is most likely the issue. All you can do is keep a close eye on him and keep trying to feed him alittle. Hopefully he'll snap back.

Back
Top Bottom