help with ph and rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abrahamavelar

Aquarium Advice Addict
well i been wanting to get some rams but ive been doing research on them and they need lower ph than the one i currently have my ph its at 7.8, my tap water has the ph level at 7.8-8.0. i know its high but some fish do ok in there, my fish seem fine and no issues so far.

so what could i do so i can keep the rams???? i have driftwood and plants (ive heard that they will lower the ph)

Hi if your local shop stocks rams ask them what P/H they are being kept in,as it maybe the same as your own tap water - then you wouldn't need to adjust the P/H. I haven't kept rams but as far as i know they are quite peaceful and like peace full tank mates,hope this helps.

abrahamavelar said:
thanks!!! thats a good idea i didnt even thought about it

Hey man I bought my rams at the mall there ph is 6 and mine is 8.5-9 and I never lost one I have breeding pairs of Bolivians, GBR, and gold rams in my experience slow drip acclimation was the key

cool i hope they will do good when i get them, i need to learn how to drip acclimate the way ive always fone it its float them for 15 min then add any where from 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup of tank water every 5 min for 30 min but i ave heard that drip its alot better and easier

btw i like ur signature

Hi Bolivians meant to be the hardier of the Rams? Drip acclimatising is a good way to introduce more sensitive fish,but i would still try and match the shops P/H as this is what the fish are used to. This is what i have always done. Also with the water parameters being the same as my tap water its so much easier doing water changes.:)

Drip acclimatising is basically placing the fish into a bucket or something similar and then using a length of airline to syphon water into the bucket until the amount of water has been at least doubled preferably more,then simply net the fish out and place into the tank. The bucket or container must obviously be big enough.

Hi i wedge the airline into the main tank and with the bucket below the tank,start the syphon by sucking {not ideal but it works for me:lol:} then make sure the water is going into the bucket,i also wedge this if i can. The water coming out will naturally be slow as the air line is quite narrow. I use a two gallon bucket for this method and if memory serves me right it takes almost thirty minutes, to three quarters fill it up. You can 'pinch' the tube to slow the speed of the water if its going to fast.{An air line gang valve can also be used to slow the water down}

Hi i tie a loose 'granny' knot and use the sliding cover glass to 'trap' it in place,or simply use a weight of some sort to trap it in place and obviously not 'crush' the air line. It really is quite simple just sounds complicated:blink::)

Another option is to put peat moss into a tea bag type thing, nylons or something similar. Heck with Halloween coming nobody would question a guy buying pantyhose lol. Put this into your filter and it will lower things. Yet another option is to mix ro water with your treated tap water to the desired levels.

Another option is to put peat moss into a tea bag type thing, nylons or something similar. Heck with Halloween coming nobody would question a guy buying pantyhose lol. Put this into your filter and it will lower things. Yet another option is to mix ro water with your treated tap water to the desired levels.

hahaha thats true!!!!!!!!!! peat moss where can i get that and what is that???

Ok lowering ph works for some people but you have to remember to always check your ph and replace whatever your using to buffer

This is why I drip acclimate to gradually introduce to your ph most fish will successfully adapt

I just really don't like buffering ph in case it "crashes" but Bolivians are more hardy and just as beautiful as GBRs IMO

I would use a ph and gh/kh test kit and monitor things. Since its something that stays in the filter I would imagine when first added it will quickly effect things but after a little while it should stabilize. I would suggest starting with a small amount and see how it goes, adding more as needed. Also how much do you know about rams? I've Recenty gotten some and have done tonnes of research so if you have any questions fire away.

i dont like to mess with things that can kill everything (that happened to my reef i messed with something and in a week i lost around 1500 dollars give or take worth of fish and coral)

Back
Top Bottom