Help with resealing tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rich42082

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I resealed my 55 gallon tank as explained in some YouTube videos. The end result looked professionally done. Held water for about 20 minutes or so and then water began to gush out of one side of the tank. My question is do I remove all the silicone and start all over or can I silicone on top of the 3 day old silicone?

Great, did you use painters tape on yours? I heard using painters tape to make a straight line could be the reason for the leak.

I used tape an inch away from the seam. Clean old silicone with razor and wipe up real good with mineral spirits to remove the silicone oil. Wash tank very well and allow to dry for a few days. Now, silicone your tank and press into joints real good. Most ppl will say let dry for 72 hours FALSE!!!! You need to silicone a little thick and dry AT LEAST A WEEK

Ok, so I took off all the old silicone but took too much off and now one of the sides is completely detached. Can I put dots of superglue to attach them back together or do I just silicone the inside and outside of the tank? Anyone have any ideas?

if you took the seal off of the corners and the glass detached there was no silicone put between the panes before it was assembled or did you cut right thru to the outside of the tank.
at this point i would break the whole tank down and resilicone it.
no worries in the future
dave

As rusty said, the tank needs to be broken down and rebuilt. The fact that it came apart that easily, explains why it was leaking. You probably averted disaster by having this happen now, rather than after it was set up.

if you took the seal off of the corners and the glass detached there was no silicone put between the panes before it was assembled or did you cut right thru to the outside of the tank.
at this point i would break the whole tank down and resilicone it.
no worries in the future
dave

I agree. When you start and get all of the old silicone off, clean the glass with ammonia to remove any of the oils left over. The silicone needs a very clean surface to adhere to and it does not adhere to old silicone very well.

I also learned a few of lessons the hard way (in red).
1.Tape the whole aquarium before starting. Add pull tabs at each end of the pieces.
2. Make sure you have enough silicone on hand for the entire job. Use Type I silicone, pure clear without any pigments, mold inhibitors, etc. Work quickly! The silicone sets up pretty fast. Use a tongue depressor to push the silicone into the corners and to taper the edges. Remove the tape as soon as you finish the edge. If the silicone 'skins' it will make a mess and you will probably need to redo it again. 2 sets of hands is a big help here. Don't try to clean up any smears or drips yet.
3. Let the silicone dry and cure for at least 3 days before putting water in it, especially if your climate is humid or damp. Clean up any stray bits with a razor blade and ammonia after the silicone has fully cured.
4. Fill the tank in an outdoor location that is level, like a shed or garage. Let it sit for a few days to make sure the seams hold. This is also a good time to check for any stray silicone you missed.
5. Drain the tank and set it up in its home location.

Let us know how it turns out! Good luck!

Ok all done now. Would it be a good idea to wait a week and put a second coat of silicone before even testing it to see if it leaks? What if I wait a week and then I have a small leak. Do I have to go through the whole process again?

I let mine sit a week. No, you cant add a second coat an if it leaks you gotta do it again

Absolutely true, I'm afraid.

Let the tank sit for at least 3 days before putting water in it. Then fill it and let it sit for a few days. I would check on it every few hours after the water calms down. If there is a leak you might spot it early. Check around the trim for water gathering, look for drips under the glass on the bottom, and (of course) puddles on the floor.

Here's hoping things work out. I know what a pain it can be. (fingers crossed)

Ok, no luck. I filled tank up and after 5 minutes I enjoyed the waterfall feature I had in my backyard. I posted to Craigslist And sold it for $10.00. I did mention the waterfall feature it comes with. Thank you all for your help. Taking the easy route though and buying a new one.

True but this was my second attempt and too much work to try again.

Ok, I decided not to sell the tank after all and I am going to try and do it right.

On another note, I bought a 75 gallon oceanic tank off of CL and it does not leak but the seals look like they are coming off in some spots. Should I attempt to reseal this one even though it does not leak?

image-2511210652.jpg

image-2047150557.jpg

image-1767056695.jpg

image-3940097370.jpg

I hope these photos help anyone who has never tried this like myself. One tool needed that was never mentioned in any YouTube video is PATIENCE!!!!

Finished product. Originally I was going to use this as a sw tank but when reassembling the tank I used windex to clean the outside of the glass. The only problem I ran into was I forgot which side was the outside. Instead of risking all my sw fish and corals I decided to give it to my turtle.

image-1524594232.jpg

image-1916221550.jpg

image-279143036.jpg

image-3858160346.jpg

Turtle upgrade from 20 gallons to 55.

Back
Top Bottom