Help with setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JTartGuy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm still trying to figure out how to get my 110g up & running. It's bottom drilled but was not setup for a sump. The plumbing was rigged with homedepot stuff. I have a general idea of the plumbing I need but I'm just not sure how it'll all work. This is the best mockup I could come up with. I'm not sure which direction the water passes through the pump & filters.
I was told it was being run as a saltwater tank with two large fish in it. My plan is to use it as a freshwater tank.
I know I need bulkheads for the four holes drilled in the bottom. I just don't know what other hardware I'll need, flow rates/volumes etc.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thx
JT

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 62
So let me get this straight, there's 4 holes drilled in the bottom of the tank along the back wall correct? If so, that's a dumb setup......

My best bet is this was originally for a closed loop system. So they would run plumbing into the tank from the pump so they could direct the water flow from the bottom of the tank. Either way, you're either going to have to either cap them or run PVC up into the tank to the water line. You can use one of the holes for your water return but you will want a high quality check valve to prevent a flood. Can you post a picture or two so we know what exactly we are dealing with?

That's pretty close. The holes leaving the tank into the base are in the middle. The return hole is in the back corner & has a rigid tube piece that fits in the hole & reaches the waterline to return the water drawn down through the three holes under the undergravel plate.
Yes it is/was a closed system. Yes it seems like a dumb setup. The entire thing is in a beautiful custom made piece of furniture & was practically free. It's also meant to be viewed from all sides hence the holes being in the bottom.
I'm not necessarily looking to just make this closed system work. If there's a better way with a sump or other option I'm open. I just don't know where to go from here.
I appreciate you taking the time.
Thx JT

I'll try to get some pics.

Pics

Here are some pics. I have a separated shoulder so this is the best I can do right now. Hope it helps.

Underside

This is the underside.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 54
Equipment under tank

Pump, filters, tubing etc

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 66
Equipment

Pump etc

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 42
Ahh I got it now, I was thinking there was a sump but it's really just a closed system. I would say some proper bulkheads, hose clamps, and attachments that will fit the diameter hosing you have for the filtration system and you'd be fine. I would also do an in line heater in that setup

Thanks

I very much appreciate the input. What kind of community do you think the system could support? Is that a pretty good amount of filtration for the tank?
Thx again
JT

I very much appreciate the input. What kind of community do you think the system could support? Is that a pretty good amount of filtration for the tank?
Thx again
JT

It could support just about any community really. A few angels and a boat load of cardinal tetras would be great. It's also probably a good amount of filtration, I don't really know as I cant tell what the gph on the pump is.

Back
Top Bottom