Help with water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Urnonsnewman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
When doing partial water changes I have been using a pail to refill my 110 gallon each time mixing in the water conditioner in the pail. Is it possible to just add the water conditioner to the tank and just refill with a hose?

Yes, dose for the entire tank. ie if your doing a 50% water change, dose for the full 110g, not the 55g your replacing.

So just to be clear I remove the 50 percent add the dose for 110 gallon the just refill with the hose at the same temp?

I hesitate to add any water directly to any of my tanks through our hose. The hose itself could have contaminants in it that could hurt the fish. There's also the temperature difference that could send the fish into shock. Plus from what I've read on the conditioner bottles it takes time for the conditioner to activate in the water. I have heard of people doing it though, just saying I myself wouldn't.

would the hose be too cool tho?

I may not be helpful I am a total newbie, but the water from my hose is quite cool, unless you are hooking the hose to a tap where you can control the temp

Dee

Yes, regardless of how much water you change, dose for the entire 110g. Then adjust water temp until it is the same as your tank, and then refill. Using a waterbed venturi(sp?) adapter that connects to your sink makes this easy.

Yes my hose connects to my kitchen tap so I can control the temp

I use stress coat+ on my fishies! It's meant to be put directly into the tank, cleans out chlorine and harmful chemicals, keeps heavy metals out, and places a layer of slime on the fish (which, apparently, relaxes them) I put a little bit in when I get new fish, and sometimes I put a little extra in when the fish are jumpy (as in, the tank gets too cold in winter, I forget to feed them, stressful moments for fish, etc.)

I'm wondering why I seem to be the only one who doesn't change my water regularly. It's not that I'm lazy or anything, it's just that I made my tank to be nearly self-sufficient. I have plants (they produce oxygen in the water) I have a Cory bottom feeder (keeps any extra food from sitting too long, keeping the water clean) and I have a pleco (keeps algae from over-growing, and anything he can't reach is beneficial and acts as a place for beneficial bacteria to grow) so basically, all I need to do is refill the tank on occasion from evaporation and feed my fish. They're all healthy and thriving, and the last death I had was a parasite transferred from petco (which, I might add, killed my favorite guppy :( ) does anyone see anything wrong with my setup? I certainly hope not, my female guppy is expecting! (fry that is ^^)

alia258 said:
I use stress coat+ on my fishies! It's meant to be put directly into the tank, cleans out chlorine and harmful chemicals, keeps heavy metals out, and places a layer of slime on the fish (which, apparently, relaxes them) I put a little bit in when I get new fish, and sometimes I put a little extra in when the fish are jumpy (as in, the tank gets too cold in winter, I forget to feed them, stressful moments for fish, etc.)

I'm wondering why I seem to be the only one who doesn't change my water regularly. It's not that I'm lazy or anything, it's just that I made my tank to be nearly self-sufficient. I have plants (they produce oxygen in the water) I have a Cory bottom feeder (keeps any extra food from sitting too long, keeping the water clean) and I have a pleco (keeps algae from over-growing, and anything he can't reach is beneficial and acts as a place for beneficial bacteria to grow) so basically, all I need to do is refill the tank on occasion from evaporation and feed my fish. They're all healthy and thriving, and the last death I had was a parasite transferred from petco (which, I might add, killed my favorite guppy :( ) does anyone see anything wrong with my setup? I certainly hope not, my female guppy is expecting! (fry that is ^^)

Yes water changes are necessary!! Without them, the nitrate levels build and will eventually kill the fish.

Yes they do, but minerals in your water get used up over time. The best way to replace them is with weekly water changes.

I add the water with minerals in it every week from evaporation, are you sure it's not enough?

The aquarium is a closed environment. Nothing comes out unless you take it out with water changes. Plants cannot remove enough nitrates, unless the tank is VERY heavily planted. You need to do weekly water changes of at least 25%, and 50% is even better. If you test your nitrate level I think you will be surprised. The fish will thrive and be much healthier with regular WC's.

Oh okay but it's waiting because I have a 4 day vacation and can't monitor the need for stress coat. Thank you for telling me!!! I will start changing water regularly!!! (glad you told me this BEFORE my fish started dying off) :)

I am, one day, going to have a heavily planted tank full of guppies! It'll be great! One for the males, one for the females, and one for the breeding/fry! ^^

Back
Top Bottom