Help?? Zig Zag Eel suggestions??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pixiedust

Aquarium Advice Newbie
HI! I have a Zig Zag Eel that we've had in our 75 gallon tank for well over a year - nothing has been added to the tank in the last 6 months - things have been going perfect in the tank - great readings, regular maintenance, etc - .....except for now! My Zig Zag has been laying down at the bottom of the tank the last 2 days. He's always been a fairly inactive bottom dweller, but he's experiencing labored breathing and his mid section floats up?? We have him isolated in a seperate tank, but would love suggestions on what to do for him! He's part of our family and I hate seeing him suffer...but have no idea what could be wrong with him, or how to treat it. Btw, his tankmates are 2 rope eels, 2 raphael catfish, a Clown knife and a very small bala shark (a transplant from another tank where he was being picked on). Thanks!!

Thanks for your reply - very sadly, Creampuff the eel passed away last night :( we did water changes, moved him to his own hospital tank, tried Epsom salt and also malafix (sp?) - it was a real mystery! He didn't have any signs of injuries or bacteria or fungal infections, just a swollen mid section and rapid breathing. The kids were pretty upset about it too - maybe in a long while we'll try again....maybe not, hate to think we'd do this to another eel when we have no idea what it was or how to prevent it. - thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom