Help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RobertsBaby

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My 'new' used 100g tank/stand is uneven. I am pretty sure its not the floor but I need to figure out what to do. When I run my finger over the right support on the stand it is lower in the back than in the front.

I have been told to shim it but the problem is I have been told and told to NEVER shim between tank and stand but the problem is where the tank sits on the stand.

Someone suggested foam but after reading through:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f11/ziggy953s-150-build-errrr-120-build-104073-14.html
I have decided foam = bad.

I am not sure exactly what I should do. I am considering maybe foam JUST under the bottom rim where the tank touches the aquarium (so it doesn't push up on the bottom glass and risk breaking the tank. Other than that what are my options? I know I could sand it down but that would be annoying to try and get perfect. I am also considering 3/4 plywood straight across the top of the stand. Would that work?

img_1173916_0_8c44b17055d19a1ab3395c9ab65f292b.jpg
Here is a picture of the tank. Ignore the haze. New sand was settling.

You should place a level on the top of the tank and place shims between the stand and the floor. Level the tank both side to side and front to back.

Did you make sure the stand wasn't twisted when you placed it? A cheap aquarium stand can twist a bit, so you have to walk it around a little until all four legs are on the floor, similar to a ladder.

I would not suggest foam either for the obvious reasons. I'm glad you learned from my mistake!

BigJim is correct. You need to level the stand and tank together. I went so far as to contact and talk with Perfecto (company that made my 120) on the best way to build and level my stand and tank. They suggested I have a solid one piece top that was perfectly level to put the tank on. I went overboard and got a 1" thick slab of granite to put on top of my stand. There was no flexing moving or shifting of my stand after that.

Shims should only be used between the stand and the floor.

I have decided to take a 3/4 peice of plywood and put it between the stand and the tank. That will make me feel better than shims since no matter how much I shim it the fact remains that the boards on the left and right have a significant bump in the middle of them. By putting the 3/4 plywood on top at least that will smooth out those bumps (I think). Suggestions?

That might or might not help. When I was building my stand I used 3/4 ply to make the top and still put the 1" granite slab over it to get it perfectly flat and level.

My only concern is this stand is home made by someone at some point. The place the tank sits on are all nail gunned down and I don't want to take a hammer to it without knowing how things are attached. I'm not sure what else can be done. The left side at least is flat on the front and back with a small bump that goes across the wood in the middle. I think the right is the same.

If you are seriously concerned I would suggest pulling the top off and replacing it and when you do screw it down.

How big is the tank??

FYI – The reason that you never want to shim the tank at the stand is because you will put uneven pressure on the glass. You should remember that a fish tank is simply glass lined up and held together with only silicone. Uneven pressure on those walls is a VERY bad thing. It’s also why you never want to move a tank with water in it.

It is a 100 gallon which is why I'm concerned. I'm not really worried about the tanks lean. I am just concerned because I don't think the tank is getting even support due to that bump.

I am definitely considering removing the top but my only concern is that I am uncertain just how strongly the top is attached and how it will react when I start pulling the brads from the brad gun. Like I said someone built this stand so I don't know much of anything about its base construction.

Back
Top Bottom