help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elaine5182

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok I have a 60l tank with 14 fish in it 5 danios and the rest male/female guppies. I thought since putting guppies in the danios seemed sad we got two live plants and since this the water has became very murky.
I changed one if the filters today and done a 20% water change and removed one live plant.
Water isn't clearing done test my readings are:
Ph - 7.6
Ammonia - 0.25
Nitrate - 5.0
Nitrite - 0.25

What can I do to help my fish n try get water levels ok

Ok I have a 60l tank with 14 fish in it 5 danios and the rest male/female guppies. I thought since putting guppies in the danios seemed sad we got two live plants and since this the water has became very murky.
I changed one if the filters today and done a 20% water change and removed one live plant.
Water isn't clearing done test my readings are:
Ph - 7.6
Ammonia - 0.25
Nitrate - 5.0
Nitrite - 0.25

What can I do to help my fish n try get water levels ok

What kind of plants did you put in? There are plants sold as aquarium plants, but in reality will rot and foul your water because they're non-aquatic. Go to plantgeek.net and look thru the non-aquatic link to check.

The ammo is on the edge, but my bigger concern would be the no2 (nitrIte) since it's harder on fish than ammo IMO. PWC of 30-50% everyday till those numbers come down is my recommendation. the no3 (nitrAte) is fine and plants actually use it as food and pH is fine too. Not sure what you mean by "change filter", but if you change the filter media too often you cause a bacterial bloom that looks like white cloudy water. Daily PWC will resolve this as well.

Thanks I am not sure what the plants were they were just From lfs. Have removed both live plants now. Our filter system has 3 cartridges which we need to change 1 every 6 weeks this first time we changed it since had fish about 7 weeks ago. Might be something to do with that too? I will do another 20% change tomorrow now the plants are gone as done a 20% wc today.

What else can I do to help water levels?

Thanks I am not sure what the plants were they were just From lfs. Have removed both live plants now. Our filter system has 3 cartridges which we need to change 1 every 6 weeks this first time we changed it since had fish about 7 weeks ago. Might be something to do with that too? I will do another 20% change tomorrow now the plants are gone as done a 20% wc today.

What else can I do to help water levels?

What's the name, model number of your filter? Some mfg's tell you to change media, because they want you to spend more money. In many cases it actually hurts your system by changing the media.

PWC are a tanks best friend IMO. Unlike nature, a closed system (tank) relies on outside sources (PWC for one) to rectify problems.

It is a Marina Style 60 tank with an external filter with 3 cartridges in it. It says when we got the tank on original filters we would need to change these so not sure if this is right or not anymore?!

All the fish now swimming close to surface which some say is typical danio/guppy behaviour but usually after being fed they are more lively than they are :-(

It is a Marina Style 60 tank with an external filter with 3 cartridges in it. It says when we got the tank on original filters we would need to change these so not sure if this is right or not anymore?!

All the fish now swimming close to surface which some say is typical danio/guppy behaviour but usually after being fed they are more lively than they are :-(

According to google the filter you have is a kit filter called an Elite Stingray filter and all I can find is that they're in-tank filters.

I diid find this though:

Elite Stingray Filter – Item numbers A140, A142, A144. It's a list of filters Hagen is recalling and here's the link.

Hagen Elite Stingray Underwater Aquarium Filters

They make a line of filters called Aqua Clear, and I'd recommend you get their AC50 HOB filter and it'll do the Job it's intended to.

Ok will have a look at that and get that thank you so much for your help

Back
Top Bottom