help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

firefighter1577

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My filter is wasting money my smaller fish are getting sucked against the intake tube and aren't able to get free essentially a fish suicide anyone have any thoughts or ideas how to maybe put a guard on it or something its an aquaeon filtration system

You can buy a sponge that goes over the intake. That way fish and other critters won't get stuck. I have one on a shrimp tank and it works perfect! Never had any trouble with the tiny shrimp being sucked onto it. The one I have I think is for fuval filters but even though I have aquaclears and it's all the same really, just slip it over the intake. I would imagine it would be pretty easy to just take a sponge with fine pores and rig it over the intake as well. Hope this helps!! Good luck :)

Hi! What size tank, what kind of filter and what fish do you have? Is the tank cycling? Healthy fish should be able to avoid being stuck to the filter, so you may want to examine the water quality and see why the fish are so weak. If its' a new uncycled tank the fish could be weakened from toxin poisoning. Take a look at the link in my signature called "new tank with fish" and see if it applies to you. Good luck.

welcome to the forum

Just wanted to confirm what librarygirl said, healthy fish will rarely get stuck to a filter.

What are your readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? How long has the tank been set up?

I had this EXACT problem with my tetras!!! The water quality is the thing that is not well. the filter is fine. This happened a day or 2 after the fish was put in the tank. the ph was off and the tank didnt get enough cycling time. change the water let it cycle with the fish somewhere else then put them back in it should fix the problem.

Agreed with what's been said so far. Healthy fish should just be able to swim past any common filter's intake, much less get stuck to one.

Back
Top Bottom