Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alex33

Aquarium Advice Regular
I did fish less cycle for a week got fish and used safe start everything seem good yesterday I got a second filter a 30 bio wheel to help out the load on my 29 gal tank, this morning I woke water little cloudy and my levels are high! Amonia .50. No3 10 no2 0 ph 6.0 kh 40 gh 60 , I did a 25% water change this morning and didn't feed the fish, Please help what do I do next and what should I expect ??

Your going to have to fish in cycle. Test test and test and keep changing water to keep the ammonia and nitrites down. Something isn't right you must not have finished the cycle completely. Or something killed your bacteria
Did you change the filter pads?

No I have the one filter that's been there the whole time but I put a new second filter yesterday a bio wheel, should I keep doing water changes till my water stays clear and or levels lower , daily or?

Alex33 said:
No I have the one filter that's been there the whole time but I put a new second filter yesterday a bio wheel, should I keep doing water changes till my water stays clear and or levels lower , daily or?

Yes just keep checking and changing water you may have to do more than 25% more like 50% to get your levels down. You can re test after 2 hours of the water change. If you don't stay on it everyday the turnout won't be good for the fish. You can also use prime it will help some aswell.

Thank you I'll stay on it , is it ok to put water purifier in the tank before water? Or do I have to mix up before in buckets? Thanks again!

Alex33 said:
Thank you I'll stay on it , is it ok to put water purifier in the tank before water? Or do I have to mix up before in buckets? Thanks again!

I wouldn't add any chemicals except a water conditioner prime is what everyone on here recommends because it will help keep the ammonia down. Some chemicals are not good for the tank even know they sell it in lfs. Some will kill bacteria witch may be what happened.

I use tetra water conditioner but can I put that straight in the tank while doing water changes or do I have to pre mix in a bucket? I have two neon green tetras dwarf gouramis and two angels, you think they'll make it thru the cycle?

Alex33 said:
I use tetra water conditioner but can I put that straight in the tank while doing water changes or do I have to pre mix in a bucket? I have two neon green tetras dwarf gouramis and two angels, you think they'll make it thru the cycle?

Yes, you can put it right in the tank before you fill it back up. Just make sure to dose for the ENTIRE VOLUME of the tank not just what you are replacing. And make sure your filters are off. FYI, Prime is just about the most cost effective conditioner you can get and it helps to detoxify toxins temporarily. I suggest, when you run out of the other stuff, to pick up a bottle of Prime. Order it now from an online retailer and you will save a bunch of money even considering shipping.

Your fish will probably make it if you stay on top of the toxin levels and don't let it get to high. You will want to keep ammonia and nitrite as close to zero as you can get it at all times (unless you want to get into pH, temp and the actual toxicity of ammonia levels). Fish-in cycling can take a long time

Back
Top Bottom