Help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kwhite

Aquarium Advice Regular
I can't seem to get this fish keeping thing right. Please tell me what the heck I'm doing wrong.

I have a 25 gallon tank.

Stock:
6 small tiger barbs
10 small neons
1 black skirt tetra who thinks he's a tiger barb
1 dwarf gourami
1 female betta
1 pleco
1 Chinese algae eater.

Today the water got very cloudy and they all started swimming at the surface acting like they were trying to breathe room air. I tested for ammonia with a test strip which was all I had and it was super high. I dropped in some ammo lock and an ammonia tab and headed to the next town over to petsmart where I spent a small fortune buying an API test kit, some prime, and a bottle of stress Zyme (I think that's what it was)

Got home, and the water was even cloudier. My Chinese algae eater which happened to be my favorite was dead. I quickly tested my water with the API kit and I'm not going to even bother posting specifics because the ph was ok but everything else was as bad as the kit tests to. I immediately did a 75% water change and added prime and stress Zyme and aquarium salt. Everyone seemed to be feeling better but now just an hour later they are all back at the top of the water breathing again so I'm freaking out and don't know what else to do. How long before the prime does its thing? What am I missing? I'm starting to think im not cut out for this.

Do another 50-75% water change and then test and see where you are at.

It can take several pwc to get the water parameters into safe levels. Also their gills are likely injured from the toxins reducing their ability to get oxygen properly.

Prime is awesome, but doesn't replace clean fresh water. Did you test the water after the 75% pwc?

If you have an hang on the back filter, leave the water level down a couple inches so it kicks up the water when dropping back in. If you have an additional air pump you can add that to get in extra oxygen.

You are over stocked on your fish also.

Do your pwc and it will get better.

Having a problem in your tank which is fixable, but critical. the fish are worth the trouble for sure. knowing and doing the right things will make the tanks more peaceful to have.

This is a crisis you can battle through. Although it might be hard. There could also be additional problems, but water quality is #1. Fresh clean (treated) water can save fish!

Back
Top Bottom