HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BassSoLow

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was recently in my local aquatics store and upgraded my 10 gallon tank to a 29 gallon tank. AS directed, I took all the gravel from the 10 gallon tank and transferred it all to the 29 gallon along with the water. I did have to add more gravel to the larger tank, but that was fairly easy. I then treated the water with dechlorinator and filled the new tank. *I let everything settle and managed the temperature to 78-80. *I had placed the fish in plastic bags, so I let them get acclimated to the new tank by leaving them in the bags and letting them float in the water of the new tank for 15 to 20 minutes. *I then released them in to the new tank.

My original stock was as follows:

2 Black Mollys
1 Yellow/Red Molly
1 Swordtail
1 Platy
1 Sailfin Molly
1 Unspecified Baby Fish…looks like a Molly.

Within the first 7 days, I lost both Black Mollys. So, I visited the store and had the water tested. Much to my surprise, the water test came back perfect, so I decided to add some more fish to the mix. At that time, I added 2 dwarf gouramis and 3 candy cane tetras. I was directed to wait 7 to 10 days and then add more fish.

Within the next 7 to 10 days, two of the candy cane tetras I had just purchased died. So, I brought some water into the store again and had it tested. I was told the water looked good. *Looked like the ammonia and nitrates were very slightly elevated, but was told it was nothing out of the ordinary or that would cause the fish harm. So, they replaced my 2 deceased candy cane tetras and I decided to add 2 more candy cane tetras as well as 3 white tetras.

Then, yesterday, I noticed that my swordtail was acting very lethargic. *He was hiding behind a lava rock, laying on the gravel, and would not eat. I found him this morning on the gravel and he had passed.

Now, tonight, my sailfin molly is showing the same symptoms. *He is very lethargic and laying behind the lava rock in the same place as the swordtail. When prompted, he swims out and he seems to be eating, but he then returns to the space under the lava rock. It’s very similar to the pattern I saw before the swordtail died.

My concern is that I am doing something wrong or I am missing something. *I have lost a 3 of my original stock since the change to the larger tank and 2 of my newer fish. None of the fish show signs of disease like sores or spots. The only symptoms I have noticed are the lethargic behavior, seclusion, and lack of appetite. With one of the candy cane tetras that passed, he was swimming in a corkscrew sort of fashion. I was able to being him to the store and was told it looked like he had an air bladder infection.

Basically, I want to make sure I am doing everything correctly. *Is there a possibility that there is a disease or sickness in the tank? *I have lost a total of 5 fish in 15 days. *Something doesn't seem right to me, but I am fairly new to all this.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

The store tella me that my water is fine and my water temp is perfect too. There are no signs of ich or sores either.

Update: I found another dead candy cane tetra this morning.

Did you move the filter from your old tank into your new one or at least some of the filter media? Get yourself a test kit ASAP, recommend the api master test kit, so you can test your water frequently. Sounds like you are going through a cycle. Despite what your LFS told you, a slight ammonia and nitrite reading are bad and mean that you are effectively doing a fish-in cycle. Some fish are more sensitive that others so you need those to be at zero. What I recommend now is a good water change, 50% or so to dilute any toxins and get yourself 'prime' water conditioner which detoxifies ammonia and nitrites - basically offers you a safety net while you cycle your tank. Don't add any more fish until your levels are safe and stable. Hope that goes some way to helping you!

Did you move the filter from your old tank into your new one or at least some of the filter media? Get yourself a test kit ASAP, recommend the api master test kit, so you can test your water frequently. Sounds like you are going through a cycle. Despite what your LFS told you, a slight ammonia and nitrite reading are bad and mean that you are effectively doing a fish-in cycle. Some fish are more sensitive that others so you need those to be at zero. What I recommend now is a good water change, 50% or so to dilute any toxins and get yourself 'prime' water conditioner which detoxifies ammonia and nitrites - basically offers you a safety net while you cycle your tank. Don't add any more fish until your levels are safe and stable. Hope that goes some way to helping you!

Thanks...I did a 30% water change on Saturday morning. I can certainly do another. I use the Prime already.

As for the filter, I had to upgrade to a new larger filter. Went to the penguin 200. When I started the new tank I placed 2 new filters in. I also changed the filters again this past weekend since it had been a good 2 weeks.

You mean the sponges/cartridges? Don't change them out. Rinse them in tank water during your water changes and pop them straight back in. Only change them if they start falling apart or get so clogged up they don't filter any more. By changing your filter frequently you are effectively throwing away all the beneficial bacteria that keep your ammonia and nitrites in check. By throwing them away every 2-4 weeks, you'll effectively be throwing your tank back into a cycle every time. If you do need to change a cartridge, try to place some of the old cartridge in there with it (some of the sponge or similar) so that the bacteria can recolonize your filter quickly. You may still experience a mini-cycle but its better than nothing.

You mean the sponges/cartridges? Don't change them out. Rinse them in tank water during your water changes and pop them straight back in. Only change them if they start falling apart or get so clogged up they don't filter any more. By changing your filter frequently you are effectively throwing away all the beneficial bacteria that keep your ammonia and nitrites in check. By throwing them away every 2-4 weeks, you'll effectively be throwing your tank back into a cycle every time. If you do need to change a cartridge, try to place some of the old cartridge in there with it (some of the sponge or similar) so that the bacteria can recolonize your filter quickly. You may still experience a mini-cycle but its better than nothing.

Okay...total bummer. I threw away the cartridges on Saturday and did the same when I switched to the larger tank.

So basically I am back to square one amd am starting a new cycle. Correct?

On my filter it says to change the cartridges every two to four weeks, so I was just following the instructions.

So what is my besy course of action? I can get a test kit no problem. And I can do another water change. Should I get a fee more livebearers to help cycle the tank?

Correct. Treat your tank as brand new. You did use your old gravel which goes some way to help you and hopefully might shorten your cycle. For now, get yourself the water test so you know what's happening in your tank. Meanwhile, any sign of clamped fins and unusual behaviour, take as a sign that its time for a water change. Add some extra prime and remember that it only detoxifies ammonia and nitrites/nitrates for up to 48hrs, so I recommend you do regular small water changes with extra prime to keep the fish safe.
I'd hold off on getting more fish until you have zero ammonia and nitrite. Then, add only a couple and give your tank a couple of weeks to adjust before adding more.

It's terrible that they recommend you change them out every 2-4 weeks. It's unnecessary and just a means for them to make more money. It's not your fault. You were just following their instructions.

Hopefully you can get cycled and sorted quickly so you can enjoy your fish! :)

Correct. Treat your tank as brand new. You did use your old gravel which goes some way to help you and hopefully might shorten your cycle. For now, get yourself the water test so you know what's happening in your tank. Meanwhile, any sign of clamped fins and unusual behaviour, take as a sign that its time for a water change. Add some extra prime and remember that it only detoxifies ammonia and nitrites/nitrates for up to 48hrs, so I recommend you do regular small water changes with extra prime to keep the fish safe.
I'd hold off on getting more fish until you have zero ammonia and nitrite. Then, add only a couple and give your tank a couple of weeks to adjust before adding more.

It's terrible that they recommend you change them out every 2-4 weeks. It's unnecessary and just a means for them to make more money. It's not your fault. You were just following their instructions.

Hopefully you can get cycled and sorted quickly so you can enjoy your fish! :)

I did transfer the gravel from the 10 gallon. In regards to using extra prime...right now I use 2 drops per gallon. What should I use?

You can theoretically dose up to x5 the regular dose safely, but I'd just double up maybe and see how you go. The higher your ammonia/nitrite readings are, the higher I would go with the prime.

Bought the test kit...here are my results tonight.

PH 7.6
High Range PH 7.4
Amonia .25 ppm
Nitrates 40 ppm
Nitrites 0 ppm

Thoughts?

Test your water daily, if ammonia ever creeps above .25 then do a partial water change to get it down as low as you can get it. Zero ideally. If you read 2ppm for example, a 50% water change will drop it to 1ppm, so you need to do as many partials as you can to keep it low. Sorry your fish died, I couldn't get back to you before now. Fingers crossed it all goes well for you now.

Back
Top Bottom