Help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

B-Mac

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So today I had a tragedy, bought some new fish today, Cardinal tetras to replace my danios which I had to return to store as they were killing other fish. My water test from store was perfect,
Amm - 0
Nitra - 0
Nitri - 0
ph - 7
Oxy - very good.

The only different thing I done was a small water change which I cycled and used stress coat and a filter boost.

I fitted a new light also which I think may be the cause.

All the fish within 20 mins of the new led light turning on died. All the cardinals and my glowlights.

I have a 20l tank and 8 small fish. Plus a couple of shrimp which died also. Is it possible if the led light (made for aquariums) wasn't water tight would this kill every like that? I'm devastated...

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Was the test before or after adding the fish ? Sounds like a mini cycle occurred if you added all them at the same time. As well, I think that's a few to many for that size tank.

It sounds as though you did a WC with cycled water ?? I don't follow that. And I'm not sure that a new light would be the culprit but I could see if it was too intense or on too long. Maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

I was advised by the store that 10 tetra were fine for that size of tank? I thought 8 tetra would be fine? When you say I done a water change with cycled water? You mean putting water back in I've taken out? Maybe your right. I'll need to add little by little.

I was advised by the store that 10 tetra were fine for that size of tank? I thought 8 tetra would be fine? When you say I done a water change with cycled water? You mean putting water back in I've taken out? Maybe your right. I'll need to add little by little.

Unfortunately, the only good I've found from an LFS is the exit. The old rule of thumb was one inch of fish per gallon. Another poor guide that most experienced folks are trying to steer the newbies away from.

Yes, I was asking if you added cycled water for WC's as that's not the proper method for a WC. Always add fresh, same temp water with a dechlorinator. Prime or Safe from sea he or the API products recommend both Stress Coat and Stress Zyme together. Also when stocking a tank try for a guide such as http://aqadvisor.com/ It's not perfect by any means, but IMO, much better than a LFS.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

I'm confused, too. So, I'm only going to address your concern about the light possibly electrocuting your fish.

Relative to the light go to hardware store and buy a ground fault outlet. Hire an electrician to install it. All power must be turned off to the area where it will be installed. Here's a link explaining GFCI:
http://home.howstuffworks.com/question117.htm

Or buy a portable GFCI
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000XVG72G?pc_redir=1411222220&robot_redir=1

Whatever you do, if you think the light killed your fish, unplug it immediately until you have a GFCI installed.

(Friend of Bill W., One day at a time)

Back
Top Bottom