Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SJJensen

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just joined today and this is my first post, so please excuse my ignorance!

We got a brand new 20-gal tank, had the tap water in for about a week, no plants of any kind, then had the water tested. High nitrite levels. [Or nitrate? My husband can't remember what he was told, and we know nothing about it.]

Everything I've seen says it's from waste, either from fish poop or plant debris. Since we've had neither, what else is it? The tap water itself? Honestly, this is the best tap water of anywhere we've ever lived, so it's weird that this is happening. Side note, we live on the Iron Range in MN and do not have a water softener, so our water is hard.

Any ideas? Tips?

Thank you!

You would need to dechlorinate the water first before putting in the tank, and then get yourself a good water test kit. API Master test kit seems to be the most common and readily available. Once you get accurate test (nitrite or nitrate or high pH, etc.) you will know what you need to tweak. Also make sure you read up on nitrogen cycle.
Good luck!

Get a test kit and test both your tank and tapwater. Cant really comment or advise further until we know what these are.

Another thought. Your tap water might be treated with chloramine rather than chlorine. Chloramine breaks down into ammonia and chlorine (i think, someone will correct me if im wrong), the ammonia will process into nitrite and then nitrate through your systems filtration system and cycle. That would contribute to any nitrates and explain them seemingly coming from nowhere. Nitrate might not be a huge issue depending on what you mean by "high". Try and provide some numbers from your test.

Back
Top Bottom