Hermits Keep Dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CluelessInNY

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys...have a small tank 20g, with a clown, goby, and firefish all thriving and healthy. I have several clusters of feather dusters, many (too many) bristleworms, and several rather large asterina stars. My tank by all measures is healthy and alive.

However, when I drop in just a few hermits,they seem to die within days. Any ideas as to waht might be the culprit? I had two a few months back that got HUGE and kept shedding their shells for larger ones at least every few weeks. Then suddenly, they both died and it's been bad luck ever since.

hey guys, thanks for helping.
I don't have a calcium testing kit, unfortunately. I guess I should buy one.
I "drop" them in, but not literally ;) I meant I place them in the tank. I obsessively check to make certain they are right side up during the day.
I do keep plenty of shells for them around my tank. My LFS gives me plenty of empties to leave in the tank for them.
Of the three I put in this Saturday, 2 are still with us.

Hermits need iodine/iodide like other crabs/shrimp, for proper molting. Snails and corals rely more on calcium for their shells.
Ok, to clarify, how do you acclimate them?

Don't add it if you don't have a test for it. A decent salt mix should have enough (iodine/iodide), if regular PWCs are followed, unless you have a system that requires a higher concentration (I would think this would be very rare).
While you are acclimating, how are you keeping the temp the same as the tank's?

Back
Top Bottom