Herring bone and snapping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

something_fishy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, 2 questions. I recently was given a small portion of herringbone and I planted it in my 26 gallon marine. It has taken off and is growning along the sand and doing wonderful. Since I added it, all other algae problems have disappeared (I had a green hair algae problem, but I also reduced feeding to 1 time every 2 days rather than each day). I will keep it under control for now and hopefully if it keeps up the way it is I can sell some to my lfs. Anyone know if this is a sought after plant (or macroalgae)?
The other question is that almost every night when I turn off the lights in the aquarium, I hear a snapping sound. I look but I see nothing. Is it something alive or should I be checking my electrical system??

Thanks
Chris

I don't know much about macros so, can't help you there. The snapping you hear could be a pistol shrimp or a mantis. Both pretty common live rock hitchhikers.

Yes, they can be. I had a large mantis for two years before I ever knew it. Never heard any popping. He just happened to show himself after that bit of time.

Cool.
I posted in your other thread. I believe your macros are caluerpa. The herringbone being what I've seen called feather caluerpa. I don't know about how sought after they are but being a macro, I don't imagine you'll have much trouble getting rid of it.

Thanks Fluff, I too have seen it called feather caluerpa, just so much easier to say herringbone, and it looks like fishbones too or feather....hmmm how about featherbone algae?? lol, that sounds pretty darn good..

Back
Top Bottom