He's king of the aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DepotFish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I had three pumpkinseeds in with my green sunfish for 2 months. All were the same size, 4". Plenty of hiding spaces. The green was obviously getting more of the food as he's now 5"+. Two pumpkinseeds died though. I think he just looks at them and they die! When I gave him feeder guppies once, they died without having any bite marks or anything physically wrong with them. Do you think he's scaring other fish to death? Pumpkinseeds are supposed to be aggressive, but they are nothing compared to the green sunfish. I swear if he could he'd jump the tank and come after me one day while I watch him.

I have no idea if they are being scared or harrassed to death. But I thought I would express a desire to see some pics. :)

Pumpkinseeds are not aggressive in my experience compared to other members. You did not mention the set up but with the size you are going to need a big tank (I would do two in a 75 gallon) filtration is also key whether it be traditional means or natural methods using plants. The green sunfish will have no problems with poor water quality and any stress they are the champions of poor water quality when compared to the other genus members. Pumpkinseeds on the other hand are more sensitive. Green sunfish are eating machines and will out compete most other genus members do to their large mouth essentially if it looks like it will fit in their mouth they are going to give it a shake. Green sunfish often out compete typical bass/bluegill systems and easily displace native fish in stream situations. Pumpkinseeds are more niche feeders and have developed to be more benthic oriented feeders with adults feeding readily on snails if availiable. Very possible that the pumpkinseeds were not getting enough food. I never ran heaters on native tanks but if high temps once again the green sunfish will fair better. I would say that most likely a combination of variables caused the demise of your fish. Also it is very plausible that these fish carried "flukes, worms, etc... that under natural conditions are easily kept in check and have no ill effect on the fish. Place these fish in a tank with various stress inducers and negative outcomes are frequent.

Back
Top Bottom