Hi all new member!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. Moe

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 240l aquarium with a few tropical species in it (1 plec, 1 black redtail shark, 2 silver sharks, 2 platty's, 5 neons, 1 male fighter fish, 2 bosemani rainbow fish)

I would like to add a few more into the tank. I was thinking a few more neons to make a decent number shoal, and a couple of bigger ones too, any suggestions?

Also I saw in a shop they had a firemouth cichlid in with a few platty's (a couple looked quite young). Would these be ok to put in my tank?

Welcome. Glad you are here.

You could get more neons if you want one big school, or a second type of tetra that will school with them like glow lights. I only have 4 neons (deaths -- gotta find a better source--only fish that dies on me), but they seem happy with my 6 glow lights.

I can't speak to your mix of fish or wanting to add a cichlid. I'm very cautious and keep it to neons, glow lights and corys. If I were to add another species it would be another cory or non-agressive tetra. Then again my tank is about half the size of yours!

Hi everyone, I dont know if im posting this right but I couldnt seem to find out how to post on the mobile app.

Im a beginner and just bought a 20 gal long, 30 quiet flow external filter with 200 gph, aqueon pro100 watt adjustable heatr, and bubble wand. I just set up everything today and put stress coat water conditioner and the beneficial biofiltration stuff. Its been runing for about 24 hours with no fish. I want a community consisting of 3 cory cats, maybe 5 tropical tetras of some sort, and a pleco and maybe a couple barbs to.cycle with. My questions are should I test water quality before I start to.cycle my tank,(doing a fish cycle) and are barbs good fish to cycle with. 2nd question. can non tropical fish tolerate the water temp tropical fish need? Any help would be much apprieciated, and its good to be here.

Hi BBaily. Yes, sometimes the mobile apps are confusing. Usually you would want to start an intro thread of your own, but we all understand technical difficulties.

It doesn't hurt to test both your tap water and the water in the tank before you start. Then you will know if you have anything in your water source you should be concerned about. Sometimes people find they have ammonia and/or nitrate in their tap water. Usually not, but it is good to know.

You need to get fish that will live happily in whatever temp you are keeping. So just do your research and ask questions before you buy. You need to match fish to water conditions and also to each other. And of course it is better to have too few fish than too many.

Glad to have you here. To start a new thread, go to the section you want and then in the upper right hand corner of the screen (iPhone -- I assume an Android app would be similar) you will see an icon. Tap on that and "New Thread" will be one of the options. So start a new thread and and ask your questions. Best wishes.

The firemouth can get to 6 inches long. It can get aggressive during mating season and at other times is a bit skittish. To me I would consider the old adage "Anything that fits in a fishes mouth, fits." I think I would prefer to keep him in a cichlid tank but have heard that some have kept them with other freshies without problems. I guess I'm saying its a big chance to take when a fish is going to get that large.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom