Hi and ...help???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

momafish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, My name is Natascha and I am new to marine tanks. I have looked after my sons 250 litre freshwater tropical tank for some months now and as a child I kept axelotals.

I am looking forward to learning a lot here and one day when I know things I would hope to be able to help others.

I found this forum when I went loking for answers to if my new anenome is sick or not. There were some pictures in a thread someone posted here but they have expired I think.

I have heard that sick or dying anenomes can poison the water so I am a little worried, also I have only had the tank 6 days ( It has been running fr 2 years under another's care) and really don't want to kill it.

At the advice of the awuarium I go to I bought two anenomes yesterday and when I put them in they looked great. This moring one looks ok but the other is all droopy and has some brownish threads hanging out of it.

Is there someone on this forum that has experience with anenomes settling in?

I get the water tested yesterday, alll good 0 amonia, nitrite, notrate,phosporus and 8.0 PH. Temperature is steady at 28degrees celsius.

I'm not sure how soon I can get a picture up. It seems like the anenome's centre area (mouth?) is open when yesterday it was closed.
Anyhow, looking forward to meeting some others who are as fascinated with this area. Natascha

well, i would have waited for a couple weeks before adding any new livestock. after a tank move it's not uncommon to see a spike in parameters, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. it may just be that the anemone is expelling waste. i would just double check parameters and wait and see.
btw, don't trust the advice of that LFS. they should not have sold you one, let alone 2 anemones so quick after a move.
what kind of anemones are these?
what lighting do you have them under?

Hi Doug, thank you so much for your answer. I have the anenomes under dual GLO T5 HO lighting. I think I may have been premature in my freak out. Over the next few hours the anenom returned to his previous state and, I suspect he was "sleeping" while the lights were out overnight. He has now moved to another part of the tank a little closer to the light and in front of the filter outflow.

The two anenomes are looking healthy about 30 minutes after the lights come on in the morning as are the corals (one of which I was convinced had died over night but again 30 mins later he was waving his arms around and looking pink and glowy).

I am investigating lighting right now and I hope the lighting I have will be sufficient while I find out what they need. I assumed that because it was running for the last 2 years as is it was ok but now I understand I will need to find out pretty quick what I need to provide them with.

I am happy to report that the two clownfish and the pj wrasse are all active, eating looking lively and very fun.

i don't think you have enough light for anemones. i would get a 6 lamp t-5 fixture. they aren't going to melt away in a day, but make it a priority. btw, when you get the new lighting, slowly get the anemones used to it. don't just turn it on full blast. i would put some light diffusing material between the tank and the fixture. i find window screens to work well for this. 2 or 3 layers of window screen and remove one each week until they are gone.

Back
Top Bottom