Hi everyone! Just started my new fish tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bblacrosse

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello fish world!My name is bblacrosse (my real name cant be given because I am only thirteen). I just got a new 15 gallon fish tank for Christmas, because I am fascinated with fish. The tank came with a heater, a cover for the tank with a light, a filter, some tap water conditioner, and some food. I also bought some fake plants and some aquarium props for the fish to shelter in. I also bought some rocks to lay on the floor. I have 6 fish as of now: 3 mollies, 2 pink glofish, and 1 angelfish. Do you have any tips for a starter aquarium? If so, please help me out and reply.

Also, I have a question: there are these weird dust-like particles floating around the water and also on the surface, will these hurt the fish? What should I do.
Thank you, bblacrosse

bblacrosse said:
Hello fish world!My name is bblacrosse (my real name cant be given because I am only thirteen). I just got a new 15 gallon fish tank for Christmas, because I am fascinated with fish. The tank came with a heater, a cover for the tank with a light, a filter, some tap water conditioner, and some food. I also bought some fake plants and some aquarium props for the fish to shelter in. I also bought some rocks to lay on the floor. I have 6 fish as of now: 3 mollies, 2 pink glofish, and 1 angelfish. Do you have any tips for a starter aquarium? If so, please help me out and reply.

Also, I have a question: there are these weird dust-like particles floating around the water and also on the surface, will these hurt the fish? What should I do.
Thank you, bblacrosse

Hi and welcome to AA!
The most important thing that has to happen in a newly set up tank is cycling. Cycling is the process of growing bacteria in your filter to process the ammonia your fish produce. I will link some guides for you to read if. you will need a test kit. I recommend the API freshwater master test kit. Do not buy strips. they are inaccurate.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html

Also I have some bad news :( Your tank is too small for all the fish species you have. The mollies are high waste producers (they poop a lot!), the angel will grow very large and the danios/glofish need a 20g long minimum to provide enough swimming space for them. They also need a school of their own kind (glofish or zebra danios) of 6 or more.

Any questions don't be afraid to ask!

Thank you for replying! I tested for ammonia and nitrates, and it is all healthy. Also, how long do the fish have before they will die in this tank?

Well hello to Aquarium Advice. I have to say if you got your tank for Christmas it is not cycled and your gonna have fish that 99% will die from ammonia poisoning. :facepalm: I only say that because your fish are in an emergency situation. If you can ask the local fish store if they will take back the fish then you might save them from the big aquarium in the sky. You need to get the nitrogen cycle going so you will have beneficial bacteria established before stocking up on fish. It can be a fishless cycle or a fish in cycle. Please understand setting up the tank for 1 day and then rushing out the next day or so and getting fish is a mistake a lot of new people to this hobby do. Do not worry we will help guide you so your aquarium will thrive.

For more info on the Nitrogen Cycle use the link below

For Fish In cycling - Aquarium Information - Aquarium Cycling

For Fishless cycling - The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

Also what filtration do you have? For a non planted tank I suggest Mechincal, chemical (carbon) , biological and a tank cleanup crew.

Mumma.of.two said:
Hi and welcome to AA!
The most important thing that has to happen in a newly set up tank is cycling. Cycling is the process of growing bacteria in your filter to process the ammonia your fish produce. I will link some guides for you to read if. you will need a test kit. I recommend the API freshwater master test kit. Do not buy strips. they are inaccurate.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/124/2/-I-just-learned-about-cycling-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html

Also I have some bad news :( Your tank is too small for all the fish species you have. The mollies are high waste producers (they poop a lot!), the angel will grow very large and the danios/glofish need a 20g long minimum to provide enough swimming space for them. They also need a school of their own kind (glofish or zebra danios) of 6 or more.

Any questions don't be afraid to ask!

How big will my angelfish get if it is the small breed?

bblacrosse said:
Thank you for replying! I tested for ammonia and nitrates, and it is all healthy. Also, how long do the fish have before they will die in this tank?

What's are you using to test? If the tank isn't cycled they could die within a week IMO if water changes are not done regularly. I really do suggest returning them and doing a fishless cycle or buying some fish more suited to your tank and fish in cycling. Fish in cycling is hard work. It requires daily water changes and testing so if your not up for it I suggest a fishless cycle.

FreshwaterFishJunkie said:
Well hello to Aquarium Advice. I have to say if you got your tank for Christmas it is not cycled and your gonna have fish that 99% will die from ammonia poising. :facepalm: I only say that because your fish are in an emergency situation. If you can ask the local fish store if they will take back the fish then you might save them from the big aquarium in the sky. You need to get the nitrogen cycle going so you will have beneficial bacteria established before stocking up on fish. It can be a fishless cycle or a fish in cycle. Please understand setting up the tank for 1 day and then rushing out the next day or so and getting fish is a mistake a lot of new people to this hobby do. Do not worry we will help guide you so your aquarium will thrive.

For more info on the Nitrogen Cycle use the link below

For Fish In cycling - Aquarium Information - Aquarium Cycling

For Fishless cycling - The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

Also what filtration do you have? For a non planted tank I suggest Mechincal, chemical (carbon) , biological and a tank cleanup crew.

I got it tested for all of the nitrates and ammonia and all of the water cycle things at the pet store. The fish expert said that it was ok and that it would do fine, after I put some Nutrafin Cycle in. I have all of the filters that you listed, and all of the fish have not shown any problems with the nitrates and ammonia poisoning.

Mumma.of.two said:
What's are you using to test? If the tank isn't cycled they could die within a week IMO if water changes are not done regularly. I really do suggest returning them and doing a fishless cycle or buying some fish more suited to your tank and fish in cycling. Fish in cycling is hard work. It requires daily water changes and testing so if your not up for it I suggest a fishless cycle.

I brought it to the pet store to test, and the fish expert said it was completely healthy if I did a 15% water change tonight. I put some Nutrafin Cycle in like he told me to, also. Will that be enough?

Thank you, bblacrosse
Do the dust like particles look like microbubbles?

bblacrosse said:
I brought it to the pet store to test, and the fish expert said it was completely healthy if I did a 15% water change tonight. I put some Nutrafin Cycle in like he told me to, also. Will that be enough?

The levels are normal because the ammonia hasn't accumulated yet. It WILL happen. Please read the links provided. They will explain it all :)

I don't wanna go against the experts here, but I had to do a complete scrap on my 55 gallon 2 months ago. I had no option but nutrafin cycle, it saved my stock. Along with large daily water changes. But this was a last ditch effort for me, also it was hard on my fish. I would never, I repeat NEVER do it again. My fish stressed to the point where I was worried and stressed for them everyday. There is good advice here and momma.of.two is one of the best. Read all she writes and follow it religiously. That would be your best bet.

the "fish expert" was obviously not the "expert" he claimed to be. ;) welcome to AA! you have two options right now:

1. take the fish back and do a fishless cycle. this is the best option, and it will make your tank a much happier place for your fish when it is time for them to be added.

2. do a fish in cycle. this requires twice daily 50% water changes MINIMUM. only do this if you can't take the fish back.

now, if you pick 1 or 2, you'll need a test kit. the API master kit is the best one around, and using your own kit is really going to be the most convenient option. (you'll need to test daily for a few weeks on either option)

if you picked A, you need:
pure ammonia (no surfactants or scents)
OR
fish food/raw shrimp
you need these in order to basically simulate a tank full of fish in order to sort of "trick" your bacteria into developing.

i also reccomend prime for A as well... just good stuff to have on hand.
now, if you pick B, you'll need:
a bigger tank... i would go 29 gallons MINIMUM, and that will only hold the angel for a little while...

prime water conditioner, because it detoxifies ammonia and nitrite for 24 hours while keeping it in a usable form for your bacteria.

preparation... this method is risky, and could possibly kill your fish.

i also reccomend live plants for this option... they help convert ammonia and nitrite, and are very good to have around during a fish in cycle...

i really hope we don't discourage you, fishkeeping is really fun after you get through this part, but hey... we all have to start somewhere ;)

But I don't know what to do. I had to buy a bunch of stuff to get the fish and stuff for the tank, and I barely have any more money. Do you have any more suggestions?

bblacrosse said:
But I don't know what to do. I had to buy a bunch of stuff to get the fish and stuff for the tank, and I barely have any more money. Do you have any more suggestions?

It's ok :)
You have two options.
1. Return the fish for a store credit, buy the API test kit with it and do a fishless cycle with bottled ammonia OR
2. Save up for a test kit and do 50% water changes EVERY DAY until you get it.
Your fish are not suitable for your tank size but they will be ok for now. You have a couple of months to save for a bigger tank if you want to keep them. :)
I know it's VERY overwhelming but we are here to guide your through it!

Mumma.of.two said:
It's ok :)
You have two options.
1. Return the fish for a store credit, buy the API test kit with it and do a fishless cycle with bottled ammonia OR
2. Save up for a test kit and do 50% water changes EVERY DAY until you get it.
Your fish are not suitable for your tank size but they will be ok for now. You have a couple of months to save for a bigger tank if you want to keep them. :)
I know it's VERY overwhelming but we are here to guide your through it!

Thank you so much! I needed some clarity on how long they would last in this tank. Thanks for your help! This is a pretty awesome website.

bblacrosse said:
Yes, I do. Why?

Oh, I was just asking because you will need to treat the new water going into your tank when you do your daily water changes. :) so its good you have one!

What a dechlorinator does is neutralize the chlorine and chloramine in your tap water. If you do not do this they will kill off the bacteria you are trying to grow and it can also harm your fish.

Back
Top Bottom