Hi I'm new-as of today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shelli Stenzler

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi people. I am a new member of this forum and am quite excited to think that maybe somehow I will be able to get some answers to my many questions. We got a Jewel 180 liter aquarium 7 months ago and seem to be floundering with lack of information and places to get accurate answers. To start at the beginning, we live in Kibbutz Ein Dor in Israel not too close to a big city and are dependent on the two local pet stores for our fish, supplies, etc.
Originally we had 5 silver dollars, 2 monos and 2 yellow labs. Turned out that the yellow fish grew very quickly, became too aggresive, fought with the others, and had lots of little fry-unreal.
One silver dollar died the second day he was in the tank; one mono died a week later. All was well for 4 months, water was changed once during that period, and then we got two catfish type black and white "cleaner" fish, and two skinny brown and beige elongated cleaners. A catfish died three days later, and was replaced with another in two weeks. It too died.

So, we're freaking out with all this death. The yellow fish ate a little clown loach (we had two) and killed one of the skinny brown cleaners. so, we got rid of the yellow ones and all their fry.

As of now, we are down to only 3 silver dollars, one mono and one little clown loach.

Each week we change the white filter on top and put in microlift night out two caps to keep the amonia level stable.

That's it in a nutshell. We love our fish but are not happy with the death and don't understand what's going on. Any advice would be very appreciated. Thanks, Shelli

Back
Top Bottom