Hiding bubble tip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MistaSparkL

Aquarium Advice Regular
I picked up a BTA about 3 weeks ago. He looks really healthy, eats and had found a good spot at the front of the tank with plenty of light...however as soon the lights went out one night, he wandered to the back of the tank in a cave--and won't come out. He has been back there for about 3 days now, and I'm not sure if I should try to pull him out. (he look like he may be stuck) Will he stay back there until he dies from the lack of light? My water params look ok:

temp 79
sg 1.026
ph 8.4
nh3 0
no2 0
no3 0

Welcome to AA.

How long has your system been set up? I see that you have MH lighting. Where did you get the Anemone from?

BTA's are funny. They will find a spot that they like and it's not always the spot you want them in. I would leave it be for now. As long as you can see it in the spot it is in right now and it appears to be "living" leave it alone. Mine spent a few days walking around only to pop up right back where it started from.

I'm in VA as well...used to live in Centreville. It's nice to see a local!

Thanks for the welcome,

My current system is about 7 months old, and yes, I can see my anemone (barely), along with my cleaner shrimp which had followed him into the cave. Thanks for the advice, I'll leave him be for now.

BTW, I picked up my bta at centreville aquarium on US29. I've only recently moved into the area, and don't know of any other aquarium shops. Any recommendations?

Dont try to move him as all you will do is tear the foot and he will surely die then. BTA`s like to have their foot shaded and will swing out and inflate. Give it some time to see if it will do this.

I was just about to pose the same question. I placed mine on a LR about 4" under the surface just under the MH on that side. I'd read that they are high light demand and it found a nice niche in the rock to anchor its foot. About 3 days ago it got out and started moving down. Now it's entirely in the shade between the LR and overflow. It still looks alive, so I figured I'd just let it find its spot. I'm checking it often because I don't want it to die and crash the tank.

Sweet....this morning my bta started to poke out of some random crevice towards the light. It looks like hes looking for a comfortable spot for himself. Its a good thing I hadn't tried to move him, thanks for the advice guys.

Good deal, eventually he'll find the spot he likes - and hopefully it'll be a spot that you're okay with too. lol

A trick I learned from a fellow reefer is to feed the anemone when you get it in a spot you like. Feed it maybe twice a week with some mysis or something similar. This will make the anemone associate the spot with food and should stay put. I have never tried this as I've been lucky that my anemone is where I want it for the most part.

Back
Top Bottom