High ammonia levels help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yummyc

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,
I'm still new at this and I noticed that my ammonia levels are higher than they should be. I have a little meter that sticks inside the tank and right now its on the light green shade that says ( caution stress). I've done two partial water changes already and it still says the same alert. I thought it could be wrong so I used the test strips and it had the same light green shade of "caution". My tank is 55 gallons and I have 7 fish.
a balck ghost knife, two angels, 1 pleco, 1 rainbow shark and 1 Black Banded Leporinus. They all seem pretty healthy still but I am concerned about the ammonia levels. What is the safest way to fix this? I am going to do another water change but how often can I keep changing the water like this?

thats the way to get rid of it, but how much water are you changing? are you changing your filter pads, cleaning your filter? changing any carbon if you are using any? those things matter. also you should look into a better type of test kit using liquid drops to test, not strips

thats the way to get rid of it, but how much water are you changing? are you changing your filter pads, cleaning your filter? changing any carbon if you are using any? those things matter. also you should look into a better type of test kit using liquid drops to test, not strips

I changed 30% each time so far. I didn't change the filter pads;I will do that and chage the carbon as well. I'll see if the pet shop as the liquid test that you mentioned. Thanks for your help. I really don't want my fish to die :(

how long has the tank been running? is this the first cycle? have you changed anything in the tank or just added all those fish at once? Keep doing the pwc's to get the ammonia levels down. and pick up an api freshwater master test kit for all the basic test you will need to monitor the tank. do you have city water or well water? are you using a dechlorinater if you have city? you should test your tap water too so you know what you're starting out with.

don't change the filter pads as you will lose any of the beneficial bacteria the has started to grow there. that is your main source to convert the ammonia to nitrite and then nitrate. just keep doing water changes. and while you're at it read the stickies in the FW Getting Started forum.

I agree with FishEggs - don't change the filter pads as you will just be removing beneficial bacteria that your tank needs. Even in an established tank, if you change all the filter pads at once you'll get an ammonia spike. You don't need to change filter pads unless they are falling apart. Just rinse the pads gently in removed tank water during a water change, but in your case, wait until your ammonia has gone away. Don't touch the filter pads and media in the meantime. If you're trying to remove odors or discoloration with carbon, it should be changed once a week. If you leave it in the tank longer than that, it will begin to act like a biological media - colonies of good bacteria will colonize on it.

You can do up to a 50% water change per day to lower the ammonia. Just remember to use dechlor and match the new water temperature to the tank water temperature.

how long has the tank been running? is this the first cycle? have you changed anything in the tank or just added all those fish at once? Keep doing the pwc's to get the ammonia levels down. and pick up an api freshwater master test kit for all the basic test you will need to monitor the tank. do you have city water or well water? are you using a dechlorinater if you have city? you should test your tap water too so you know what you're starting out with.

don't change the filter pads as you will lose any of the beneficial bacteria the has started to grow there. that is your main source to convert the ammonia to nitrite and then nitrate. just keep doing water changes. and while you're at it read the stickies in the FW Getting Started forum.

I wish I read this before I went on tank mission this morning. I changed one of the filter pads, I have two filters running. I did another water change and the ammonia still is in the light green shade.
I've had my tank for a year now and I added the fish slowly. I added one new fish last week and that was one of the angel fish. Before this I've never had any trouble with ammonia levels.
I always use dechorinated water ( that is the same temp as my current tank water) when doing water changes.
I have regular tap water from the city. How much water should I take out tomorrow?

I agree with FishEggs - don't change the filter pads as you will just be removing beneficial bacteria that your tank needs. Even in an established tank, if you change all the filter pads at once you'll get an ammonia spike. You don't need to change filter pads unless they are falling apart. Just rinse the pads gently in removed tank water during a water change, but in your case, wait until your ammonia has gone away. Don't touch the filter pads and media in the meantime. If you're trying to remove odors or discoloration with carbon, it should be changed once a week. If you leave it in the tank longer than that, it will begin to act like a biological media - colonies of good bacteria will colonize on it.

You can do up to a 50% water change per day to lower the ammonia. Just remember to use dechlor and match the new water temperature to the tank water temperature.

Thanks for your reply. I'll do a 50% change tomorrow. Unfortunately I changed one of the filter pads this morning. I have two filters running so hopefully, it will have enough of the good stuff still on it. :bowl:

You should be okay.

Those ammonia alert hanging things are junk. Get a good test kit, that's the only real way to know what's going on.

Since you are using those, once you do a water change it'll take time for that monitor to change it's reading, they're not instant at all. They're not accurate either, btw.

Thanks to everyone for helping me :)
I bought the API master kut and retested the water.It is yellow "safe" for ammonia. I tested PH as well and it is also good. I wont do another water change a couple of days.

Always helps to have quality equipment. Unfortunately, most of us don't realize that until we have already bought the cheap stuff, so we end up having to re-buy equipment. That's learning the hard way... Good luck with your tank. Post some pics when you can.

Back
Top Bottom