High nitatrates and low ph help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

podge387

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I went on vacatoin and came back to find my tank in bad condition dew to overfeeding all my fish are alive but the nitrate levelsare through the roof and my ph is ver low i don know how this is happening but can u please give me some suggestions to help me out? thanks.

lots of small water changes daily while you monitor the nitrate levels if you haven''t already started! If your levels really are 'through the roof" you might want to start with a 30-40% change.

check into some rechargable resins, there are plenty out there but only a few work personally i use ammo chips in an extra canister or hob. but equip may not be available, ask some others ,but i think you need to raise the ph slowly, and the water change

I'd go with the pwc but at 50%. Do a thorough gravel vacuuming too to remove as much of the uneaten food as you can. Fresh water is the best thing you can do right now.

The reason your pH dropped was due to the acidification of the water from decomposing food.

Water changes and gravel vac's are going to correct this for you, provided your tap water has higher pH. Do this slowly because the fish have become somewhat adapted to the current situation, and it can stress them quite a bit to suddenly have the water at a higher pH and lower nitrates, even though it is what they are used to from before.

The fish are probably better off without food during vacation times - this is a common problem.

The pet store sells these tablets called vacation food. Not sure how it works, but I saw them yesterday. Next time try the vacation tablets.

No please don't try those tablets or blocks. They produce more trouble than they are worth. As Tankgirl said, it is far better not to worry about feeding during your vacation as a rule.

sorry about that, as you can see I am only an apprentice....

out of couriocity, how many days can fish go without being fed? aprox?

The vacation tablets are mostly plaster of paris and they can foul a tank very quickly, and I am scared to death of them, LOL!

Now you have climbed up another rung in your apprenticeship, and you have a very educational anectode to bring up to other newbies who are one step behind you, LOL! (I should say that there are probably plenty of people who use vacation blocks without problems - as they would not make them if nobody bought them, but you can do a search here on "vacation feeding" or something and likely pull up tons of disaster stories about them).

Adult healthy fish could go 2 weeks if they had to, though I would personally have someone come and feed for me at least once in between if I was going to be gone that long. If I was going to be gone for a week I would not worry about it.

Welcome to AA, GoFish! :D

I recommend you post a new thread with your question, since there are reasons you might use one or the other mixed, or just treated tap.

Back
Top Bottom