High Nitrate in Jack’s cycled : ) tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also wondering if I should use API General Cure because it covers both intestinal worms and internal parasites

I've had good luck with general cure. And also Prazipro. Debatable how much gets in their system just by adding it to the water tho. Making a medicated food with GC is the best, but since he's not eating.... put a couple of qts of water in a bucket/ container, so it's pretty shallow still. Add 1 pack of GC and a table spoon of kosher or aquarium salt. Leave him in there for 10 minutes, once a day. A suggestion I read said that during the thrashing around in the shallow water, they might swallow some of the medication. I'd try this first. It's worth a shot. If it's carry over from out of whack water parameters, then not much you can do, but he'll prob recover

Thank you so much. I’m worried that he will stress out so much when/if I move him to another tank or bucket, but I guess it has to be done. Is there a point where he is so stressed that I should scrap that idea and go to plan B?

Also, should I use one or the other? I’ve ordered API General Cure, metroplex and I already have Prazipro.

Wait... I’m guessing that the “thrashing around” is because it is a dark bucket, and this is good?

I don't have any experience using metroplex, but I think it's good. Prazipro is a good fluke, worm med. Gc is a good dewormer. I'd use the one that is more broad spectrum. The bath is stressful, but I've done it on a couple of fish and both healed fine.

Thank you!

We just did the bath and maybe I didn’t make it shallow enough because he wasn’t thrashing around, but he seemed to tolerate it well.

I think I added 7 gallons of water, and added one envelope of API GC and 1 tbsp kosher salt. 63477166615__4864AC48-6911-49C0-B5E5-BC8D216AF1CD.jpg

How many days do I do this med/salt bath?

Also ... do you think this solution is strong enough?

I highly doubt he will eat anything medicated for me... even eventually, he has always been extremely picky. I did order TetraCichlid crisps though. [emoji846]

@charliebankston I like the aquarium co-op.. I have gotten his med trio but I am kinda chicken to immediately use it on all my new fish [emoji51]

I really like your more cautious method. Can you tell when a fish needs their tank dosed versus just a med/salt dip?

@charliebankston I like the aquarium co-op.. I have gotten his med trio but I am kinda chicken to immediately use it on all my new fish [emoji51]

I really like your more cautious method. Can you tell when a fish needs their tank dosed versus just a med/salt dip?
I think it's prob the same. Your fish def has all the symptoms from that cichlid bros video

Thank you so much- I can’t tell you how grateful I am. (Whatever happens)

I just took the plunge and dosed the tank with GC ????????*♀️[emoji51].

I left the volume at 65 gallons because I realized how hard it would be to run the filters with lower water levels.

I have two big cartons of API Aquarium Salt... how much would you add?

Update: After dosing Jack’s tank with GC, he started eating after the second day [emoji2][emoji2][emoji2] and I mean he was hungry! I just did a 25 percent water change and put charcoal back into his filter. I am likely going to wait 2 weeks, then dose again (re: Aquarium co-op advice), but so far so good. I am so grateful. Thanks to everyone for chiming in and helping me keep this fish alive : ) 63520190059__D7D8F2D0-C464-49DC-823A-041A87B76182.jpg

Jack is doing so much better after bath treatment with General Cure and continued medicated food with metroplex (gained weight and the spots on his head/face have cleared up) but today I noticed redness/sores in his gill area. Any ideas?IMG_1925.jpg

Back
Top Bottom