High nitrates and cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

piperky1

Aquarium Advice Regular
I need advice. My tank has been cycling for almost two weeks. Just checked nitrates and they are high. Ammonia hasn't ever gotten past 0.25 ppm and usually 0. Nitrates are at 40 ppm. Is something wrong? Is that the way it should happen? I thought ammonia spiked then nitrite then nitrate. Any ideas?

Right. So I'm worried because the other two haven't spiked but nitrates have.

How did you start? Live rock? Shrimp? How much LR do you have? What's your set up like? I'm a noob to so don't get your hopes up that I can help!

Cheers

29 gallon, 45 lbs live rock, 20 lbs live sand. Shrimp has been in since Friday. Only tested nitrate yesterday. Just did it for the fun of it but come to find out it was high. Didn't think I needed to until after ammonia spiked. Maybe this is normal?

I started my 29 with LR and LS and never got a true cycle. I'm guessing your LR is taking care of it for you. I would let it go another week then retest. You may be ready to add livestock.

A nitrate of 40 is not that high. Of course we'd like it to be 0 but 40 is not terrible unless you are keeping corals.

Im in the exactly same situation. Shrimp been in there for a week and my ammonia max out at .50 with no nitrites or nitrates yet. I'm assuming you used established LR like me and that its taking care of it like Schmitt said. I am getting a diatom/or brown algea bloom though..... how about you? Which is weird because I thought Diatoms or algea was because of high Nitrates. Sorry if I high jacked your thread!

I have noticed a slight browning of the sand, not sure if its anything yet. May just be where there was some die off from the rock and its just build up of that. Just noticed today. I have many pods eating on the shrimp. They seem to be keeping it clean and not getting any kind of fuzz on it.

Back
Top Bottom