High Nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chromediggity

Aquarium Advice Regular
My tank was set up in June and everything is doing great except for high nitrates. They are about 80ppm and I can't get them to drop. Everything I read says that they are bad but not that bad. Anyone have any experience with this? I have started to feed every other day as a last ditch effort to reduce them.

My tank was set up in June and everything is doing great except for high nitrates. They are about 80ppm and I can't get them to drop. Everything I read says that they are bad but not that bad. Anyone have any experience with this? I have started to feed every other day as a last ditch effort to reduce them.

How long have you gone without a water change? How's your stock and what size tank. 80ppm isn't horrible but you do want to get it down. I usually sit around 20ppm.

Do back to back water changes to drop that number. Have you tested your tap water?

I notice my nitrAtes will climb if I skip a week. I know my tank and 2 weeks it the longest I can go.

I have a pretty high bioload....

1 flame angel
2 clowns
1 six line
2 watchman
1 anthias
1 azule damsel
1 skunk cleaner

36 gallons

I do a 4 gallon water change every two weeks but maybe I need to start weekly. I buy distilled water and it tests fine. I figured store bought distilled water is okay in a FOWLR.

I have also started adding instant ocean marine stabilizer and nitrate reducer weekly too.

I don't like adding any chemicals when a good ole fashion water change will help everything. I think try weekly's. you may find that is what you'll need to do to keep the numbers low.

I misunderstood. I thought it was freshwater, now that I'm on the right page lol. That's high IMO. my saltwater tank I keep at .05

My freshwater is 20ppm.

Sorry if I confused you.

Thanks for the advice. I will start weekly water changes and every other day feeding. Do you think fish aggression will increase if feeding slows down? That's another concern since space could be an issue. Everyone is getting along right now. The two watchman gobies even live together in the same burrow which I am told is unlikely.

I don't think it will cause an issue, if your worried, tapper off the feeding everyday by feeding less and less until you finally reach every other day feedings (y)

Back
Top Bottom